24 | dancing with the devil

Giselle "G" Rowe
Sunday, December 11 | 6:37 a.m.
North Sails - Apartment Homes

-

The ride to Gabriella's apartment seemed to last forever. I anxiously bounced my leg to the rhythm of the random songs that played on the radio the entire time, occasionally sparing June a worried glance. His jaw remained tense and his hardened gaze fixated on the road as he silently drove, only fueling my uneasiness that much more.

He finally pulls into the parking lot and switches gears, forcing the vehicle to jerk slightly as it comes to a stationary halt. Neither one of us speaks for a few seconds until June's heavy exhale breaks the silence. "Aight, G. I'll see you later, okay?"

We lock eyes and all I can force myself to do is nod. Part of me expected him to take my hand and lead me upstairs to my family, to stay by my side and comfort me.

I mean, ain't that what boyfriends do?

But can I even really expect that? He's never met my folks before and these aren't the best circumstances. Maybe he is right to stay away for now. Maybe I'm just being needy.

"Okay," I mutter, grabbing the door handle. His fingers wrap around my chin and plant a quick kiss on the corner of my mouth, soothing me for two seconds. I step out of the vehicle and the early morning December wind cuts through my jacket like daggers.

The elevator doors slide open before I even get a chance to press the button. Two police officers step out of the metal box with a polite nod in my directions.

I'm sure that whatever I returned looked stiff and awkward. I quickly replace them inside and ride the machine all the way to the desired floor. My father answers on the first knock, encasing me in his warm embrace.

The scene before me is just as I imagined it. Gabriella is in my mother's arms with bloodshot eyes and used tissues littering the floor and coffee table. Jamari looks up from his tablet, his big brown eyes lighting up as soon as he sees me. "Te-te!" He gets to his feet and rushes towards the door.

"Hey, pooh." I half smile, ducking out of my dad's arms to scoop up my nephew. How wonderful it be to remain oblivious to all the hell breaking loose around you.

My father's car and a police cruiser are among those parked in the first row.

I sit down on the other side of my older sister, planting Jamari in my lap and wrapping my arm around her back. "I'm sorry, Gab."

In a weird way, I mean what I say. Sure, I personally couldn't stand Farad. I didn't even want him around his own son, but I hate to see my sister so torn up. I hate that even though Jamari never had a good dad, the possibilities of him becoming one is now gone.

Gabriella just breaks out into another sob, burying her face into her hands and my mother plants a kiss on her daughter's head.

"So," I sigh, watching Jamari slide out of my lap to retrieve his tablet. "What do we know so far?"

"It happened Wednesday night while he was sitting in his driveway." My dad explains, leaning on the kitchen island. "The police think that it was either a robbery gone wrong or maybe something drug related since  cocaine residue was found throughout his house. His assailants killed him, broke into his home, and took his valuables. Of course, they're still on the hunt for who did this."