22 | hell has frozen

Giselle "G" Rowe
Friday, December 3 | 7:58 p.m.
Heated Prime - Michelin star restaurant 

-

"How is everything?" I shift my gaze between the middle aged couple cheerfully and the woman raises a perfectly manicured eyebrow, responding with a brusque "fine."

Her dark hair is pinned in a tight updo, streaked with a few silver strands and she holds her head up high, proudly showcasing the pearls that decorate her thin neck.

"Okay, great! Can I get you anything else?"

"Actually, he'll take another drink. This one is a bit too watered down."

That's what happens when you let it sit there for an hour — the ice melts.

"No problem. Would you like the same choice of beverage again, sir?" He opens his mouth to speak, but is cut off before any sound leaves.

"Yes, he would." She straightens her shoulders in a haughty fashion and I nod stiffly before scurrying away from table number five." And don't forget the ice, please." 

Typical.

I fulfill their request and tend to my other tables with liveliness and care, regardless if it is appreciated or not. I know that my time at this place is coming to an end soon so I want to rack up as many tips as I can. Maybe then I'll be able to actually give out good Christmas gifts this year.

A huge gust of air fills my lungs when my break arrives and I disappear into the lobby of The Pilliar Hotel to rest on a plush sofa. Pulling my phone out of the waistband of my skirt, I open my messages. 

Nurse Gabriella
He finally showed up after making us wait in a dark parking lot for a whole ass hour

Ok, don't do that again pls.
At least not without another adult waiting with y'all. That is dangerous

Nurse Gabriella
How did I know you was gone say sum bout that lol. I didn't really want to anyway, but he insisted

Idc.
How long will Jamari be gone this time?

Nurse Gabriella
Just until Sunday

My body relaxes slightly and I feel a small smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. That's not even a full two days. Maybe I won't be too sick with worry.

Wonderful!
I get off work late. Do you need company? I can spend the night

Ever since my sister's cryptic breakdown, I've been adamant about keeping a closer eye on her. Especially, since she still has yet to go into detail, much to my annoyance. I decide against pushing any further for more information though, realizing that I won't get an answer that easily. It's better to keep her close and show her that I can be somewhat understanding.

The last time I held my ground, she took Jamari away from me. This time, I will play my cards better even if it makes my eye twitch.

Nurse Gabriella
No I'm finna go to bed, I'll be okay.
But thank you! You are the best sister and auntie everrrrr!! We're really grateful to have you in our lives G