25 | you are appreciated

Giselle "G" Rowe
Saturday, December 25 | 9:04 a.m.
The Rowe Residence

-

"Why don't you give love to someone who needs it right now? N-n-n-n-now, someone who needs it right now." Johnny Gill's voice blasts through my parents' living room, filling our eardrums magnificently. Scraps of wrapping paper litter the floor right along with the slew brand new toys. Although everyone has received at least one gift, it is clear who the star is.

"Dang!" My mother laughs, pointing her phone at Jamari as he rips through another loosely wrapped present. I roll up the sleeves to my plaid pajama shirt, already feeling a little warm from sitting underneath the vents and holding a cup of hot cocoa in my hands.

"What the world needs is love. Yes, the work needs your love. Give love on Christmas Day."

"See?" He beams, rushing the boxed toy motorcycle to my dad. "Open it!"

"What are you supposed to say, son?" Gabriella raises an eyebrow expectantly.

"Thank you!" He bounces on his heels and my dad kisses the top of his head. "You're welcome, bud."

I briefly set my red mug down on the carpeted floor to crawl under the lit tree, grabbing the last of the gifts and passing them to their new owners. "Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals."

Gabriella's eyes widen and her full lips spread into a rueful smile as she struggles to tear through the paper. "Dang, did you have to use every bit of tape that you could find?"

"I mean!" My mother agrees, setting down her phone and using her nails to peel the sticky barrier.

"I didn't, Santa did!" I shrug, retrieving my hot beverage and taking another careful sip.

"Damn, I'ma need the scissors for this one too." My dad rocks to his feet with a grunt and pads into the kitchen. "Boy, they gone make sure that nobody steals they stuff. It's thirty-seven zip ties 'round this thing."

"Damn!" Jamari echoes, skipping behind him.

I wait for Gab to chastise her child, but it never comes. Instead both she and my mom break out into a chorus of oohs and ahhs at their bracelets.

"Thank you, Giselle!" My mother wraps her arms around my back and rocks from side to side.

"So that's why you was looking like that when I complimented your bracelet, huh? Had some tricks up your sleeve."

I shoot her a coy smile, flipping my jumbo bonnet over my shoulder.

The rest of the morning is full of excitement and cheer, mainly just watching my nephew have the time of his life. By the time the afternoon rolls around, everyone is stuffed with holiday desserts, deciding to cut the day in half by taking a nap. I finish shoving the leftover paper scraps into the trash can, wiping down the sugary counters, and head into the bathroom.

My body is a little fluffier than usual, indicative that we have indeed entered the colder season. There's no such thing as a diet when there's countless baking recipes to try.

I'm in and out of the shower in no time, choosing another pair of pajamas. This time, a forest green set that's a lot more breathable than the last pair, albeit less festive. Grabbing my plugged in phone from the oak nightstand, I automatically roll my eyes when I see his name pop up above the two message notifications.