28 | sonder

Giselle "G" Rowe
Saturday, January 14 | 12:23 p.m.
Downtown

-

"While this is our smallest unit on the tour, it certainly has one of the most beautiful views." Dorian smiles, opening the door to the studio apartment and ushering me inside.

Her heels click noisily on the hardwood floors and she untucks the clipboard from underneath her armpit to read from the scribbled on yellow sheet of paper. Her light ginger hair mimics the sunshine and the feminine business suit is tailored perfectly to her slender frame.  "It's around 1,015 square feet, surrounded by plenty of restaurants, and even includes a little nook for a washer or a dryer."

"Not both?" I thoroughly scan the space, walking into the middle of the room. This is the second option out of a total of four and so far, I'm just not wowed enough.

"I'm afraid not." She offers me a closed mouth smile before excusing herself to take a phone call.

The crystal clear, floor to ceiling windows are definitely the stars of this place. I peer outside, getting close enough to see my warm breath on the glass. Located in the heart of the city, I'm able to spy on every passerby as they walk, bike, and drive down the street. Many of them enter and exit the surrounding buildings, leaving work and returning home — all oblivious to my existence just as I was to theirs a few moments ago.

Sonder has plagued my mind randomly for the past couple of days and I often catch myself dissociating during conversation or whenever I'm supposed to be completing a task. It's like my mind is blank and crowded all at the same time. Right here and a million mile away simultaneously.

Maybe it's a side effect of my broken heart — something that I hate thinking about.  Two whole weeks have passed since the incident, since I've heard his voice and I haven't made a single ounce of emotional progress. What is moving on?

I turn around to see Dorian's painted pink lips moving at lightning speed as she happily bounces towards me.

Oh shit. I'm doing it again.

"Pardon?" I blink.

"What do you think? Can you see yourself living here?"

"To be honest, no." I sigh apologetically. "It's a bit too open for my liking. I mean, I don't wanna have my bed smelling like whatever I've cooked that day. Mind if we move onto the third prospect?"

"Oh, it's no problem at all, Miss Rowe." She chirps, holding her clipboard to her chest. "The next property is on Garden Street."

Building number two is located towards the outskirts of the city and its spacious interior as well as the price certainly reflect that. I can't help the giddy grin that spreads across my face as I look over the modernized one bedroom apartment. The windows aren't nearly as big as the previous unit's, but there's a certain coziness inside that I'm super fond of. I take my time examining twice and fall deeper in love.

This has to be it.

The walk through the fourth apartment is quick and before I know it, I'm bidding Dorian a goodbye and rushing to local retail stores for cardboard boxes. I'll pack up just one or two to manifest my move and to keep my spirits high. Option number three was made for me. I know it.