26 | trouble in paradise

Giselle "G" Rowe
Thursday, December 29 |  11:09 p.m.
Heated Prime - Michelin star restaurant

-

"Thank you guys so much for dining with us. Have a wonderful night!" I smile, stepping aside as the guests slide out of their booth.

Tonight has been a long one. My head is pounding from the tight bun stationed behind it, the second button on my white blouse popped off so I've had to finesse it to keep from flashing the entire restaurant, and my stomach is in knots courtesy of Mother Nature.

But hey, at least the tips are coming in.

I grab the thin stack of bills off of table number eight and quickly sift through them, releasing an air of satisfaction once I'm finished. $135 on a $431 tab. That adds up to a total of a little over $800 from today alone and easily around $3k for the entire week.

I skip towards the back, feeling a little lighter on my feet. The holiday season has proven to be fruitful yet again and I'm full of gratitude as I close this shift.

"Okay," Riley's voice cuts through the chatter in my head and I bend the corner to see her holding a large cupcake, a rueful smile upon her painted red lips.

"Friend, you didn't have to do this." Chance gasps, poking his bottom lip out before ushering her into a long hug.

"Yes, I did." She pulls away gently, her eyes nearly welling up. "I'm gonna miss you, you know?"

"Yeah, dude. I'm gonna miss ya too. We've been here the longest." Vincent nods, wiping his forehead with a towel and the two men slap hands.

"Chance, you're leaving already?" I lean against the doorway and fold my arms. "I thought you were staying for another month or so."

"Yeah, that was the plan originally, but I was selected for the role so I'm moving in a week."

"Oh my gosh, congratulations!" I squeal, teetering up to him and wrapping my arms around his slender waist. "With a face like yours, you belong on the TV screen."

I've always known that Chance loved being in front of the camera and we've bonded over our shared love for art in general, but he's been pretty quiet about his endeavors lately. I understand completely. Sometimes you've got to be quiet until it's really real.

His dream of moving out west and starting anew has finally transformed into a reality. I couldn't be happier for him. Seeing people chase after everything that they want only motivates me to go hard for my own future.

"Thanks, you guys. Seriously." Chance sighs, stepping away from me to grab the boxed dessert from Riley. The four of us throw on our coats and shuffle outside into the frightful weather. The city is still decorated with Christmas lights and it truly brightens up the atmosphere.

A pristine white Tesla with tinted windows sits alongside the curb, the passenger window slowly sliding down. The driver leans over, an award winning smile decorating his features. He's got low cut, bleached blonde hair that pairs well with his caramel brown skin and a diamond stud in each ear. "You ready, babe?"

"Of course." Chance smiles, pulling open the door. I shoot him a sly smile and he matches my expression. "What? Y'all thought I was moving across the country all alone?"