20 | orange sunsets

Giselle "G" Rowe
Sunday, November 27 |  1:27 p.m.
The Rowe Residence

-

"Ouch." I wince after another failed attempt to push my earring through my fourth used-to-be open pierced hole. "I knew I shoulda listened and kept earrings on 24/7." I sigh, deciding to just settle for two small diamond studs.

I can't be like Kirk and his three earrings.

I apply a layer of tinted lipgloss before standing up to check my reflection, shaking my wrists so that my bangles slide down my forearms.

"Giselle, we heading out for a quick second, oh!" My mother peeps her head in my room, smiling as she takes in my appearance. "Why you look like a Spanish mamí? The curls came out really good!"

"Thank you, ma." I laugh, ripping off the top layer of my lint roller. She winks and heads down the hallway. The front door opens and shuts a few shorts moments later.

She can close that door, but stay leaving my room door open.

I shake my head, answering the incoming FaceTime call after I gently shut it.

"Another reason why I'm bouta stop selling is cause erybody feel like the police na." Cree scoffs as soon as the call connects. "Ole one weed please, ass nigga. I'm sick!"

"What happened to hello? How are you?" Nadi laughs. She's lying down with the sheets tucked in her underarms to cover her bare chest. No doubt in Mack's bed.

"Ain't it." I chime in, setting the phone up and misting myself with my perfume.

"Oohhh where you going, G?" Nadi sings. "You look so good!"

Cree stops walking and brings the phone closer to her face to look at me. "I'm going through a crisis! We ain't got time for dress up!"

A bell dings as she enters a store, nodding her hello to the cashier. "I do like the dress though."

"Thank y'all. I don't know yet, only thing June said was he had a peace offering for me." I shrug, adjusting my boobs to sit better in the low cut dress. "And Cree, I'ma just pray harder that you get the office job, boo."

"Right 'cause they gotchu stressin'...bad."

"It's all good, I'm finna go get something to calm my nerves." A sly grin spreads across Cree's face as she brings her two fingers to her mouth before flicking her tongue through.

"Goodbye, y'all!" I chuckle lightly, ending the call and their laughter.

Maybe pussy really does make the world go 'round.

**********

Sunday, November 27 | 3:45 p.m.
Blissful Brushes - Art Studio

-

"Stroke deliberately yet, delicately as you decorate your canvas." The instructor announces, arms clasped behind her back. I chuckle into my glass, watching June's heavy handed application.

"You are not doing what she said."

He sucks his teeth, cutting his eyes to my work. "We really neck and neck."