epilogue

Giselle "G" Rowe
Saturday, July 13 | 7:56 p.m
La Costa de Sol - Resort

-

15 months later

"Ride my wave, ride my wave. Would you ride my mind? 'Cause I'll be giving you my time. And I make ice tea and I make it with your lemons."

My toes sink into the warm grittiness of the sand surrounding me, my body relaxing to the timbre of Tems's voice. I close my eyes and let the salty breeze chill the tears staining my cheeks. My emotions are just as intense and ever present as the waves wrecking into the shore.

"Flaws and all I'll be the one you run to. And I'll be for you and no one else. Tell me what you want. I'll be going in, fina-finally."

Over a year ago, Rashad and I were at the beach together for the first time for what should've been a carefree, relaxing vacation. And although we did enjoy tropical paradise in many ways, the trauma from the previous month was still etched into his brain and for the first time ever, I saw him cry. He didn't pull away or lie. He didn't make excuses. He leaned on me for support and I stood tall for him just as he'd done for me time and time again. Death had solved my sister's problems, thus allowing my family and I to relax, but it had also stung the love of my life.

A double edged sword.

We worked hard to get back to us. To cut out all the background noise, to be free of emotional pain that outsiders inflicted, to take a deeper dive into who we were as people as we gained maturity.

Back then Rashad was my boyfriend, but not anymore. That ship has sailed.

I take a deep breath and look down into his expectant eyes, the direct sunlight forcing his pupils to contract. Rashad's voice bares no trace of anxiety, not an single crack into his velvety deep tone as he speaks from his heart. It is I who cannot remain still, digging my feet deeper into the sand. Even with zero physical contact I am a puddle of uncontrollable nerves.

"Since day one, you've been everything that I needed and more. You've taught me that positivity and love exists even when things are hard. The spirit of a hustler and an angel. I truly see you as a gift. Will you marry me, Giselle?"

The small black box is opened to reveal a dazzling white gold ring with a beautifully sculpted diamond. The tears roll down freely now, no longer restrained by pride.

"Yes!" I nod vigorously and Rashad slips the jewelry onto my finger before standing up to engulf me into a bear hug. I wrap my legs around his torso and allow him to carry me back to the white cabana. "I love you so much! You mean everything to me."

A new ship has arrived. One that is sturdy and luxurious. Rashad is now my fiancé.

Knocking the Uno cards onto the ground with one swipe, he climbs on top of me and our lips become one. The vibrations of both of our phones tear us apart only a few short minutes later. He snatches his from the bed with a worried expression only for a smiling face to greet him when the FaceTime call connects. "Dex, you good?"

"Nigga, am I?" Dexter's grin broadens. "I'm exquisite. Doc says that I'm right on track."

The camera angle widens to show his slender form standing to his full height all on his own and Rashad's frown quickly transforms into something brighter. Dex's recovery has been slow and steady, but still nothing short of a miracle.

"I'm so proud of you, man. When I get back we putting something on the grill!" Rashad shoots me a knowing glance before turning back to his cousin. "There's so much to celebrate."

"Fasho, cuzzo." Dex nods and Ashanti flips the camera to wish us a safe trip before ending the call. Gabriella rings me for the second time, fussing playfully as soon as we make eye contact.

"Never again will I watch her lil bad ass. I'll tell you that!"

"Auntie G, Winnie peed in my mama's car." Jamari yells excitedly. The almost four-year-old holds the panting toy poodle up to the screen with glee and I coo at them both.

"Aww." I laugh. "Gab, I'll shoot you a hundred to get it cleaned out, but don't say you won't watch your niece no mo!"

"Girl boo." She rolls her eyes. "Are you okay? Your eyes look a little red."

"I'm great." I bite back a smile. "Love you guys! See y'all later."

I rotate my wrist, watching the diamonds dance on the ring before throwing myself back into Rashad's arms. I'm grateful that he didn't say anything about our engagement just yet. I want to bask in the glory some more first, just the two of us. I can't believe how wonderfully my life has changed, how far my own determination and heart has carried me. Tonight I will thank my lucky stars after I've put my man to bed.

"Let's go back to the room and run a bath." I clasp my hands around his neck and he plants a gentle kiss on my lips, slipping his palm underneath my mesh cover up to cup my asscheek. "I brought so many oils and refreshers that we can add to the water and we can —"

"Hold up, hold up now, Mrs. Lockhart. Let's stay for a little bit to watch this." He gestures to the horizon where the sparkling water melts into the pink and yellow hues in the sky as the sun descends. For a moment, I am speechless, my mind replaying his words as reality sinks in.

Mrs. Lockhart. I will be Giselle Lockhart.

"Wait, why?"

"Because Giselle," he smirks, turning his face to the clouds. "pink sunsets are the prettiest, remember?"

I'll never get tired of him saying my name.