chapter 18

I sprinted through a pretty green field. It was all so bright, I loved it.

It smells of mom's cookies. They were amazing. The way they tasted was like eating so many different flavours at once and savouring the taste.

"Ruby!" A cute voice yelled my name from behind me. I spun around in a heartbeat to see a massive cookie stood upright on the grass.

I could feel the drool leaking from my mouth and quickly wiped it away with my sleeve. My feet started to move on their own and I ran towards the cookie. Absolute joy was probably the only thing that could be seen in my eyes.

Without hesitation, I immediately bit into the top of the cookie...

And pain shot through my jaw. I blinked and found myself biting into Hans's shoulder.

Why am I biting into his shoulder? Wait... when did hans get back? And... why am I biting into his shoulder?!

I pulled away and fell right back onto my bed. There I saw his figure, hans crouched down with a plate of cookies in his hands.

The cold look in his eyes shocked me due to the gesture. Such an unemotional man doing something so kind.

It's...

________________________________________________

Ruby was left agape and took a cookie from the plate. Weiss walked in and watched in anticipation.

The young girl was excited to see her bestie try the cookies, it was Weiss's first time making them as well. Though, she had guidance from hans.

That lead her to a certain train of thought...

Who was hans günsche?

Incredible fighting skills, can cook, bake and had white hair. A distinct trait of her own family. Could they be related? A brother? Maybe an uncle?

But that would mean she had feelings for either her brother or her uncle.

'hold on a moment weiss. We don't even know if we're actually related! I can't jump to conclusions. Why not ask him? But how do I do that?! I can't just ask are you my estranged brother or uncle!?' While weiss was having a mental debate, Ruby bit into the cookie.

"this is amazing!" Her bestie's yell quickly snapped her out of her little crisis. Weiss rushed over with excitement but stray thoughts still plagued her mind.

"really?" Ruby turned to her with slight confusion before it finally clicked.

"did you make these weiss? They're really good! Almost as good as mom's." Weiss hugged Ruby with all her might.

Granted, the two girls were about equal in strength so it wasn't much.

"you must be a really good Baker!" Weiss blushed and pulled away from the hug while averting her gaze towards hans.

"did hans make these?"

"No! Well... he guided me." Ruby stared at hans with curiosity.

"where did you learn to bake?" Hans remained silent and went for the door.

But he stopped when he grabbed the handle.

"I... I had... a... sister... once..." The captain left through the door, leaving two equally shocked girls behind.

'a sister? But... what happened to her? Is that why he's so... closed off? Yeah, that's the right word.' Meanwhile, weiss was stuck in her thoughts of an entirely different nature.

'a sister? That... doesn't help my predicament. It doesn't eliminate the possibility that he's my brother or an uncle. Saying he had a sister once implies he either lost contact or she died. So there are two possibilities. A, he is my estranged brother or uncle and was driven away from the family. B, he has no relation to my family and has either lost contact with his own sister or she has... died... oh.'