Chapter 45

Outside of an operating room, footsteps could be heard. A large man pacing back and forth, his medical knowledge was scattered and sparse.

But his knowledge of anatomy was immense thanks to the doctor. He'd done everything he could.

'Please stop, just sit down.' Neo's sweet voice rang through his mind, and he did as asked. He was so worried, but Neo sat beside him, leaning her head against him.

'She won't die, Weiss is a tough girl. You even saw yourself, there wasn't anything too vital that was hit. Even the doctors aren't too concerned.' Even with those comforting words, Hans stared at his shadow. The image of Ruby flashing through his mind.

'You're not alone, we can help you with her.' Neo reached up to his face, forcing his head down onto her shoulder instead. 'Just relax, close your eyes and rest.' Relax... that was a foreign concept to him.

But... it doesn't sound bad.

For once in his long life, Hans closed his eyes, completely leaving himself in Neo's hands. Slowly, his partner shifted his head to her lap, carefully holding him with all the gentleness of a mother, Neo stroked his head.

Slowly, ever so slowly, Hans found himself dozing off. All before falling into the abyss of sleep.

Neo let out a smile.

'You're a very paranoid man. You need to relax once in a while, let go of that stress. I swear... I'll have to keep an eye on you, won't I?' Suddenly, Susie rose from his shadow, crouched and staring at his face with a bored look.

"We tied her up. I've been messing with the grimm pools we took, the bone weapons are pretty good. They tear flesh well. You..." Her hair shadowed her eyes "were so cool!" Starry eyes stared straight at the unconscious Captain.

'Loud aren't we? I dont want you to wake him.' Susie looked to the girl with a dead look.

"I wasn't talking to you-" Susie paused mid-sentence, realising her feet had been completely frozen. Looming to Hans, out cold still. Therefore...

'Quiet.' Neo's face was stern, the encroaching ice up her legs made her point crystal clear.

"Now now ladies, let's not fight when a mans trying to sleep. Let's keep it down." An old man sat across from them, he held a... noble sort of presence, wearing the clothes of an esteemed aristocrat.

The two could immediately tell he was dangerous, yet he had no weapons in hand.

"I'd introduce myself, but he's not awake, and this concerns him too." Neo was tempted to try and force him, especially with how mysterious he was, but with Hans asleep, she didn't dare risk it.

_________________________________________

Everything was white, his entire field of view was filled with flickering white particles. He was in a snow storm...

He didn't trust it. He couldn't recall any memories of a snowstorm like this. It'd been decades since he had a proper dream, only nightmares now.

Holding his arm above his eyes, he tried to wade through the snow. It was deep, his boots leaving imprints about two feet deep. The crunch of snow and the sound of the storm was all he could hear.

As he waded forward, a figure stood. Hans paused... who was that? His build didn't match anyone he knew, stranger yet, he wore a sort of white robe.

Looking at him, there was a tingling sensation in the captains hands. Something was off about that man...

The figure turned around, yet he couldn't discern a single detail of his face. It seemed like something was trying to censor his face... something...

His mouth moved, but not a thing could actually be heard. His ears couldn't pick it up.