Chapter 57- Grief & Guilt

I felt as though my heart had dropped somewhere deep--deep within me.

Someone knew.

Someone was aware of my shenanigans.

It was a sick feeling twirling around in my stomach combined with the feeling of numbness.

The door squeaked open and impulsively as I squeezed the small parchment paper into a fist. I expected the person entering to be Draco or a nurse.

I was wrong. 

"Mattheo?"

His lips didn't separate. His eyes were solely filled with grief. 

"Emerlyn...I.." his voice cracked showing hints of sorrow, his eyes watering at the barely surviving Serena. 

Maybe Mattheo knew something.

Maybe he did it.

However, he ignored my presence with cries slipping out of his mouth. He knelt by the ground, his hand intertwined with Serena's and with his every cry, his body shook.

The emotion he showed led me to believe that this wasn't him. It could've been.

"Serena..." his voice was as cracked as glass. "Serena...I'm here..."

"I thought you knew?"

He raised his head, the tears under his eyes decorating his face. "I thought you knew." 

"Me? All I knew was tonight I was going to meet her..." his eyebrows furrowed together. "I was informed that Serena was in the hospital.." 

I recalled the memory of Serena desiring to meet Mattheo. 

And he here was. 

In front of her. 

Yet she could not respond. 

I wondered what Tom would've thought about the whole situation. What his reaction would've been like. All I knew it would be bad.

bad, bad, bad. 

I walked outside the room. 

Draco wasn't there anymore but I felt a familiar sensation.

It was Tom. 

                                                          ---------------

"Tom is coming.."

I warned Mattheo about the arriving nightmare but it didn't seem like a nightmare to him anymore. 

"I want to stay here..." he replied not a hint of emotion displayed on his face.

And there Tom was.

He stood silent. I wasn't aware wheater this silence was from the existence of Mattheo, Serena being in a coma or me knowing about Mattheo's whereabouts. 

I stood in Tom's position for a second, thinking about all the possible ways I could process all of this information at once. It would be far too overwhelming. 

But Tom did not rage.

He did not scream nor did he shed a single tear.

However, all his agony was visible through his eyes, he walked over silently and examined Mattheo, silently making his own observations. 

His reaction to Mattheo was far unexpected. 

However, it could be justified because of Serena's sudden condition.