Chapter 1

Not edited
It was the first day of my final year in high school, we called it secondary school, and I couldn't be anymore happier. At last, I was leaving the midst of hormonal teenagers, it was not as if it gets better in Uni but I was close to finishing the first phase.

"Morenike!!!", My mum shouted from downstairs and I guessed it was from the dinning room.

" Yes, Mum. I'm coming" I replied with equal vigour, rushing down the stairs. I finally made my entrance into the dinning room.

Every one was already there. Well, no surprises there.

Dad was sitting at the head of the table, my mum by his right side, while my brother, Olamilekan, we called him Olami or Ola was on his left side. Yeah, we had unusual nicknames in my family. My sister, Darasimi, popularly known as Simi, was sitting next to my brother. I knew she was avoiding mum's drama.

I am Morenikeji by name but everyone called me 'Reni', well everyone except my dotting Mum, she calls me Morenike.

My dad, was barely at home, used work as excuse. From the way he came home of recent, I had thought the poor man was about to retire.

My Older brother, the first born of the house, his friends called him Lekan but we called him Ola here at home, was the COO of dad's company and I had never seen a man as single as he was. The guy had signed off ladies and that I would blame on that witch of his ex fiancee. Useless lady. And one last thing, the guy is overprotective, it's annoying.

And the 'jagaban' of the house, my crazy elder sister, don't even get me started with that one. Someone would start missing her whenever she went to school in Paris and when she's home? You would wish she got onto the next possible flight. Yeah, well, I still loved my sister to bits.

Don't give me that look but that's why we've got sisters. To wish you never had one.

" Oya, Oya,Sit here and have your breakfast, your driver is waiting for you".She said before I could even wish anyone a good morning.
( Be fast, Be fast).

"Mum, I will eat it on my way to school. The driver is waiting", I replied trying to get up but she pulled me right back into my seat.

" Ọlọrun o ni je, joko sibe yen, ko jeun tan nisin" ( God forbid,sit down there and eat your food now).

" Oh...oh", I grumbled but I soon heard a snicker from my sister, I glared at her and she returned the favour by giving me a mocking face.

"Don't face your business. Be poking your own nose around".I snapped sarcastically at her.

"Is she your mate?!", Mum retorted, making my mouth snap shut as I turned my glare to my sandwich. Mummy went all out with all this things. The sandwich alone was more stuffed than anything else.

" Ah! Lest I forget". And that was how mummy produced a bottle of anointing oil ,which was apparently sitting amidst the beverages on top of the Dinning table, and poured it on my head.

" Ah ah! Mummy, do you want me to be dripping of oil ? You could have just dabbled it on your finger and perhaps make a cross sign on my head", she looked at me as if I was speaking gibberish and then ignored what I had said.

"The Lord is your shepherd. You are dwelling in the secret place of the almighty,my child, no evil shall prevail over you. Don't go and get to school and forget what I've been teaching you o. You hear me? You are Jesus's daughter".

"Honey,let the girl go to school,now. Shebi you are through with with your sandwich, time for school". My already forgotten Dad decided to come to my rescue.

I didn't need to be told twice, I quickly went round the table as I kissed everyone goodbye, even though my sister gave me stink eyes, then I rushed out to the car to convey me to school.