CHAPTER 4

The Proposal

Not edited

Getting home, I met my mum bouncing her legs in the living room with my family. Ah!  everyone is early.

No Psalm or no amount of 'I am Innocent' mantra was going to save me, that I knew. My cheeks widened in a nervous grin.

" Good evening, everyone is home early"

" Did you check your time?" my sister asked

Quickly taking a peek at the wall clock,  it was to 8. It wasn't even my fault it was the hold up, I've added more fuel to the fire.

"Morenike!", Mum screeched making all of us jump.

"O ni pa mi! what did I tell you when you resumed?! Ehn! Tell me! "(You will not kill me)

I laughed nervously again," You said plenty. things, mum. I don't know the exact one you are talking about."

'Your beating is inevitable today. You that haven't been beaten since junior high school 2. Reni , again you are dead.' Talking to myself, I sighed.

I looked at my dad and older brother for help. Guess what, they were engrossed with their phones.

" That one is by the way, the thing is did I teach you to go and become a tyrant at school?! when did you start to paint? Are you a painter? Da mi lohun!!"
( answer me!!)

" Mummy, it wasn't me!"
And as if Thunderstruck, that was how my head moved with the momentum of slap that landed on my right cheek and ear, my face. I saw everywhere and everything bursted in stars.

" So, your principal was lying. You were found on the crime scene holding a spray paint and you were found spray painting your Biology lab wall,"

I definitely wasn't found spray painting, the principal was lying there but I couldn't speak as my mother was glaring lasers at me.

She continued," I will not beat you today. I will give you a lecture you will never forget." as if she hadn't beaten me already.

My ear was still singing and whining and stinging from that 'beautiful' slap. Quite frankly, whatever day,I would prefer her beating me to lectures.  Two eternity later, she still giving you lectures.

"Come and sit by me", I quickly did as she bid, " I know you are in your rebellious age now and it is not a crime but you have to be sensible about it. As you know,  you are the senior perfect girl and you are supposed to be a role model for your Juniors to come. And I will tell you what? Let me humor you, if they strip you of your title, mind you, your title as per what your parents contributed in school, don't think it's because you are the best. More people whose mouth are opened to grab it the moment you lose it, you idiot." My jaw dropped at the realisation of what mum said. Oh!

" You will be surprised what money can do..."

Ehn! Ehn! I was wondering why the top students weren't the senior prefect. Ah!  little wonders... OK,  Troy was actually topping Science class,  me?  I was trying.

" Honey!  Leave the girl now. You know Morenike can't do that."

I hoped to God that Dad was not adding fuel to the fire.

" Is that what you are going to say?" That was Mum

" Don't worry, honey. I will clear everything, okay. Let her go and change so that she can have dinner."

And lucky me, mum decided to let it go.

Finally, the next day, I met myself in the principal's office with my dad after assembly. Troy soon entered with his dad. And everything went funny from there on.