CHAPTER 5

THE DATE

"What?! " All of our friends screamed.

"Ah! My ship sailed!!! ", Tola was seriously jumping around, having been the first to recover from the shock. I would never understand how her brain worked.

"I'm desperate now.  I thought my parents were cool but apparently not. How can they arrange my marriage at birth, my older siblings are not even engaged. They could have done that to Ola or Simi.  It just had to be me!"

Not that I had any problem getting married to Troy as per he is hot,  rich,  cool and all those things a teenager could wish for,  but if we were ever going to be with each other, it should be on our own term.

Getting engaged so early in my life was scary and nauseating . I didn't even know if they had started planning the wedding party.

I turned to Troy, "Mofe,  what are we going to do now? I have been thinking about how we can get out of this,  the contract is forever too and anything my mum is involved in,  you can never be able to talk yourself out of it or even change her mind... "

"Star... Star! Stop okay.  Everything is going to be fine. Stop worrying"

"How are you even calm?  I can't just... When did you even know? "

"I have known for about three months but I didn't know who I was engaged to. That said he was set to find your family. I only found out it was you when dad saw you at school. "

"Ha! No wonder they were happy when you said we were best friends "

"And Reni,  there is no tricking yourself out of this one"

"So...  Where is this going? "

"We will make the best of it.  We can do it on our own term"

"Huh? How?" I was actually confused.

"We can date for real.  Give this relationship a try and for one,  I actually like your Mum, so,  you will be seeing more of me in your home. "

"No,  now.  Mum will think you've accepted "

"Of course, I have accepted. I've got a proposal ", he stretched his right hand to me,"We will go the right way,  you will be my girlfriend first even though our parents thinks you are due for an engagement ring, but we will manage,  then if it works out,  my fiancee and then my wife.  So...  Will you be my girlfriend? I want to get to know you and vice versa,  I want to be your best friend and... What do you call it again?  Gist mate?  And the person you Ogle and drool over without doing it secretly. So,  are you going to consider being my girlfriend, Please? "

I forgot my jaw on the floor,  I just had to and from the look of things our friends too. Did Troy just act Romantic and funny? Did Troy and Romantic word just appear in the same sentence? I never could have thought. I was looking at him wide eyed.

Receiving no answers, the guy gently took hold of my right hand and placed it on his,"There,  dear friends, you have it.  I present to you Adesokan Star Morenikeji,  My new found girlfriend and as weird as it might sound,  Fiancee! "

The whoops and Cheers coming from the three idiots in front of us threw me back in my senses ,"Mofe, are you okay?"

Because quite frankly he wasn't sounding like himself.

"Reni... ", Ire started coupled with laughter from everyone, except me, of course. "... I was starting to wonder if I had to bring shovel to pack your jaw on the floor.  It was the only one remaining there "

Laughter Continued.

"Shut up,  Ire!  This is a serious matter. You Moron! " I replied infuriated. It was showy from that arc of my eyebrow.