Chapter 17 - Encounter

"Just make sure you can see me so you don't get lost." Luke smirked, "remember, there's no turning back now and I seem to be the only one who knows their way round this place, but that's to be expected, not even Mr Trig or you two know."

He knew that James and Jayden didn't care about his incessant ramblings and never showed any interest when he opened his mouth but at that moment, something seemed empty, as if something, someone, or in this case, some people weren't there, he turned around and saw nothing, just trees and darkness. 

"Fine, if you want to do it yourself so be it."

He turned back around and huffed, if they wanted to do things by themselves then he wasn't going to stop them, all he had to do was outdo them.

It's nice to just have some time by myself once in a while. James thought as he made his way through the forest, Luke gives me such a headache, both Lukes at this moment in time.....

Was it right for you and Jayden both to go separate ways?

We both just need time to ourselves.....

What if-

"James!"

That sounded like Jayden. James panicked as he started running to where he thought the scream was.

"James help me!"

There it is again. If only me, Jayden and Luke left the campsite then Luke must be the culprit!

James continued to run in the direction Jayden's voice was, he saw footsteps on the floor as he squinted and decided to follow them as his heart began to race, the footsteps ended and James stopped, He has to be around here somewhere.

James tried to think of what could have happened but his mind felt so mixed and jumbled at the moment that he couldn't formulate a hypothesis. He stayed there stationary and tried to listen out to see if he could listen to any other noises but it was all to no avail, but suddenly he received a kick to the back and went face first into the ground. James quickly got up and saw a sight he never wished to see.

"Luke! Why are you holding that knife!?" James asked with worry, "tell me it's not true, you're not the murderer, are you!? Tell me it's not true!"

"There are just certain things that have to be done this way." Luke said sternly, before rushing towards James, "and you're next, brother."

"So then that was you I saw at the shopping centre!" James realised as Luke thrust the knife towards James' arm but he dodged with relative ease, "Luke please, I don't want to fight you."

"You have no choice!" Luke shouted as he charged again in James' direction, "you're coming back to Orion!"

James backed away but his heart stopped when all he felt behind him was the bark of a thick tree, Luke had propelled himself forward so there was no getting away now. Luke pinned him to the tree, now face to face with James.

"I'll be back soon." He spat before he left.

"Luke wait!" James called out but he was already gone.

He crouched down onto the grassy floor and clenched the grass. Tears began to flood down James' face as he began to think about what had been on his mind for the last few days. How had Luke so willingly followed Irina? Did he always have this evil in him?

If that was the case then he definitely fooled James, and that upset him. He put his full trust in him and this was how he was repaid? 

"What are you doing grovelling on the floor instead of collecting firewood?" Luke smirked from behind James, carrying a bundle of firewood on his shoulders.