031 | my miserable life

H A E U N

"It's nice to finally met the girl my son been talking about so much" Yewon said with a smile while she slowly walked towards me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, I can see where Sunghoon got his great looks from" I replied while I bowed.

“You indeed have an eye for beauty” Yewon said with a satisfied smile.

She started to walk around the room, taking a closer look at the decorations around Sunghoon's room. Even though Yewon had her back against me, it still felt like she was staring at me as if she had eyes on her neck.

“So Haeun.. Why are you into my son?” Yewon suddenly asked.

“I feel safe and comfort when I'm with Sunghoon because he's very sweet and caring. If total lunar eclipse was a person it would be Sunghoon, because meeting someone like him happens less than once in a generation” I answered.

Yewon went silent after my answer.

“Of course he is, I raised him well” Yeown responded with an annoyed tone in her voice.

“But you however are not raised well, or at least not like how my son raised” Yewon added while she turned around to look at me.

She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms while she stared into my soul with her dark eyes. The tension in the room immediately rises and the air feels heavier.

“I know I'm not the one you wanted your son to date but I do love Sunghoon. I would never ever do anything that would cause harm to him and-” I said until Yewon interrupted me with an evil chuckle.

She looked at me with an evil smile while she kept staring at me. Yewon slowly started to walk towards me again, refusing to let go of our eye contact. I could feel her breathe in my face once she entered my personal space. Her breath also smells like fresh blood.

Suddenly, Yewon showed off her fangs before she attacked me. I immediately reacted by moving to the side, causing Yewon to fall down to the ground. She got up again and I grabbed her arm and twisted it, making Yewon groan in pain before I threw her to the ground.

Once Yewon was back on the ground, I went out from Sunghoon's bedroom to see where he was. Things are not going as planned right now and we haven't even reached step one. After checking all the rooms upstairs, I went downstairs to find Sunghoon.

While I was walking down the stairs, I felt both my wrists and ankles being tied at the same time. I fell down on my stomach on the ground, I noticed two pairs of shoes standing in front of my eyes. Even though my neck hurt, I tried my best to look upwards so I could see who the two pairs of shoes belonged to.

It was Jay and Sunghoon's father Park Sangjun who was standing in front of me. The two of them were laughing proudly while I gave them a death stare. Yewon joined the two laughing men by laughing along with them while she walked down the stairs.

But the person who laughs best laughs last. The front door suddenly swung open by my family who stood at the door frame with their pure silver daggers in their hands. Yewon, Sangjun and Jay didn't hesitate to run towards my family to attack them.

While I was left alone on the floor while the rest were fighting each other outside, I tried to free myself from the ties but it was almost impossible. When I was about to scream out loud due to frustration, Sunghoon came running towards me. He pulled out a knife and ripped off the ties from my wrists and ankles.

“And you really thought bringing our families together was a good idea? Just look at them!” I said while I pointed outside.

“I know things are not going according to the plan, but we will fix this” Sunghoon replied.

“How?” I asked.

Instead of answering my question, Sunghoon grabbed my wrist and dragged me outside. We hid behind the bushes in the backyard while we watched our loved ones fight against each other. I looked at Sunghoon who looked like he was about to fall apart any second. I could tell his heart was being smashed into pieces right now.

I was about to grab his hand when I suddenly heard Hawon scream. I looked over at her and saw her being attacked from behind by two people I don't recognize. I immediately ran over to help her but Jay came in between. Jay smirked at me while he grabbed my collar and pulled me closer.

I held my thigh in the pure silver dagger with one hand and used the other to push Jay away. In my head I kept thinking about the words Sunghoon said at the school festival. That he wishes he came into the storage room later so I could kill Jay. As a reflex, I pulled out my dagger and just when the tip of the dagger was about to touch Jay's chest.. Sunghoon screamed out loud.

Everyone immediately stopped what they were doing to pay attention at Sunghoon. We all stood in a weird shaped circle and Sunghoon was standing in the middle of it. He didn't say anything, he just stared at us. It still looks like he is about to fall apart in any second because of his smashed heart.

“There is this one particular question I have been asking myself that goes, am I a monster or a victim myself? I want to be happy and satisfied with my life, but something inside me screams that I don't deserve it. A part of me wishes that I could blame it on myself, say it's my fault but it's not” Sunghoon said.

“It's not my fault I feel this way when I was raised and created to be a monster. Maybe some people would put the blame on me, say it's all my fault because I chose this life path. But since when has such a simple and beautiful thing as love become so dangerous and harmful?” He added.

“I did something normal, something every teenager experiences around this age, I fell in love. Instead of receiving congratulations and support for finding my true love, I didn't receive anything except misery. My best friend wanted her dead, my parents wanted her dead, my entire legacy wanted her dead..” He continued.

“But I chose to keep living my miserable life, just to protect her” Sunghoon said as he looked over at me.

My body is shaking with fear while I look and listen to Sunghoon. I'm scared of the direction this will be heading too since this is not a part of our plan.. But it might be a part of Sunghoon’s secret plan.

Sunghoon kept his eyes on me while he walked over to me. He placed his hand above mine so we both were holding in my pure silver dagger.

“It's about time to give you the life you deserve, a life when you can feel free and don't have to suffer anymore, because of me” Sunghoon said.

“I-I want you to kill me” He added.

Sunghoon's parents immediately started to run towards us, but Sunghoon screamed at them which caused them to stop.

“I'm not going to kill you Sunghoon. I don't care if my life consists of misery because being with you is all that matters to me! Love isn't about finding someone you can live with, it's about finding that one person you cannot live without!” I said, letting my tears take over me while I spoke.

“The legend says there's people who meet the right person at the wrong time, just like us. I know you belong with me, maybe in another lifetime but I know you belong to me. And in that lifetime we will be brave enough to love each other out loud” Sunghoon replied.

“Bae Haeun.. I'm sorry and I love you” He added.

After that, he lifted up the dagger and before I could stop him, he staked himself. Sunghoon's body burst out into unholy flames and it didn't take long until there was nothing but ashes left from him. Tears rushed down my eyes like a waterfall mating it impossible for me to see, but I could feel his ashes in my hand.

I can't believe Sunghoon saved my life as I had to watch him lose his own. I keep lying to my heart, say this is all another nightmare and Sunghoon will be here and alive once I open my eyes again.. But you can't save someone who's already dead, even in your nightmare.