It's All They Can Talk About

Hanging out with Will under the umbrella of studying was starting to become a part of my routine. So my homework really was piling up more and more, but Will had become another person I couldn't say no to. I had too many people like that in my life.

I would only be able to work after Will left the shop, which he was really trying to push without missing class. I can tell because he has literally run out a few nights, then when I got off I would work at home too. Sleep was a luxury I was slowly losing but once the haunted house was done I would be ok again. 

Things would go back to how they were and I would sleep for a week. Jason was still sitting with me all the time which was annoying but it's not like I could stop the guy. Percy was always bringing up how he wasn't my type and Annabeth always questioned why he cared. These had all become normalities in my life, and currently, the haunted house was just a week away. 

Shortly after I came out Piper and Jason split up but no one really knew why. Not even Percy or Annabeth their respective best friends. From what I'd seen both Jason and Piper seemed pretty heartbroken about it.

Sure I was curious about it but I'm not that close with either of them and it's not my business. Luckily they were able to be around each other without any trouble, which is pretty amazing all things considered.

"I just don't get it," Hazel was in my dorm bugging me as any good little sister would be. "They seemed so happy."

I just sighed and turned around in my chair. "Just because that's how they seemed doesn't make it true. Plus people break up all the time. As long as they aren't tearing each other apart it's not a big deal."

I know my sister cares but it's not her relationship to care about. Not to mention it was all our friends seemed to be thinking about and it was definitely all they could talk about. It was getting really annoying. "I'm just worried about them." Now that I could understand.

As much as I'll deny it, Jason was helpful in my coming out with his constant nagging and reassurance. He was my friend more than Piper was and I was worried about how glum he seemed. He was throwing himself into his work as a distraction. It wasn't a healthy way to deal with his heartache but it wasn't an awful way either. "They'll be fine. It's just a break up after all."

Hazel sighed to herself and sat up on my bed. "Yeah I know but that doesn't make me feel better." I rolled my eyes and checked the time. I put my computer in my bag and put on my apron.

"As much as I would love to continue this riveting conversation, I gotta go. Don't want to be late." She stood up and stretched taking that as her cue to leave.

When I grabbed my computer cord someone knocked on the door to my dorm. Hazel opened it and greeted her bear of a boyfriend, Frank. "Perfect timing as always." I gagged internally when I heard him give her a kiss.

"You're ready to go then?" I put my cord in my bag and when I turned back around they were holding hands, it looked like an adult holding a doll's hand but it was sweet. Not that sweet though, she's still my sister and I'm meant to dislike whoever she dates, just a little.

"Yeah we can go, Nico is going to work to see his boyfriend." I threw a pencil at her that bounced harmlessly off her curls. I had mentioned Will to her once and she would not let it go. She just laughed and stuck her tongue out at me. "Didn't even hurt."

"He's not my boyfriend. He's just a guy who comes to the coffee shop." Hazel rolled her eyes and walked off with Frank. "Hazel-" I sighed and zipped up my bag. She knew how to get under my skin in the way only a little sister can.

I hadn't even told her that I liked him, she was just being presumptuous. The fact that she just walked away told me more than she would ever say. It told me she knew without me having to say anything. Need I draw the comparison?

I hate her sometimes. My aviator jacket rested over my apron for the cold weather of late October. With my bag in hand, which had my computer charger and phone in it, I headed off to work.

I got there early as always, but I was 16 minutes early today. My co-worker better feel freaking lucky. I set up my little workstation and started doing homework. I wanted to get as much done as possible before Will showed up and distracted me for at least an hour and four minutes.

The dude has to have an alarm for 12:06 or something because he has managed to come in during that exact minute for over a month and tonight was no different.

He walked in and smiled at me so I turned around to make his drink. When he first walked in was always the worst on my nerves so it was lucky that I had a good excuse to turn away from him. I wrote 'Wilium' on the side of the cup for him. Whenever I intentionally spelled his name wrong like that he simply laughed at me.

I gave him the drink and he gave me the money. Sure enough, he laughed at it. "Study?" One word that meant so much more than one word. What he was really asking me was if I wanted to talk with him as our homework sat next to us being ignored.

He didn't need to ask. He already knew the answer and so did I. "Yeah sure just one sec." He always smiled so much when I agreed and he went to sit down in his regular spot. I grabbed all my things and joined him.

Once I was sitting and had everything set up he waited only four minutes before talking to me. "So that haunted house thing must be coming up real soon huh?" I just nodded a bit and tried to focus on my work like always. Spoiler alert, I never succeeded. "Where is it again?"

I rolled my eyes and looked over at him, the work successfully shoved to the side and forgotten. "You can just ask what college I go to." He knew it was being held in the science building at my school. We'd managed to get the whole building and not just one hall, which meant a lot more decorations.

He shrugged a bit. "Ok, what school do you go to?" In all honestly, he had asked me before but I just never answered him before.

I was just so nice like that. "Guess." It was more than I had given him before. I was throwing him a bone.

He scoffed but smiled all the same. "Fine. I don't suppose it's Beckendorf University?" I shook my head and crossed my arms. He seemed a little sad now. "What about... H.B.U.?"

I paused before nodding slightly. "Yeah. I don't think I've ever heard of Beckendorf University honestly." He just shrugged and drank what was left of his coffee.

"It's like 20 minutes or so away. I go there. It was named after a student who died getting other students out when there was a big fire." I nodded again. That was a good reason to name a school after someone. Someone who was a real hero.

It sounded familiar but I guess I never paid it much mind when looking at colleges. I wanted to go somewhere where I knew people already. It's just easier that way.

Hey guys gals and non-binary pals! 

That photo at the top is supposed to be like Nico's dorm, with less guitar and plants and more ghosts and skull stuff

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Have a great day/night!