50 - Our Era

The beautiful golden rings of light channeled from the dark sky, illuminating my spot like a halo as the immense magic energy wrapped around my arm. With a sharp gaze, filled with more confidence than ever, the warm beams of light bursted from my arm, straight at the man. He was sent soaring. Like a piece of garbage mindlessly tossed to the side, he dropped onto the pile of monsters behind him, but I was unsure if he was actually done yet. This man was strong, and I wasn't sure if he would still stand after receiving a direct hit from a spell like Fairy Glitter.

"I-I guess... they don't... call you the Princess for... n-nothing." His words rolled off his tongue along with blood. I knew just from a closer glance that he was done. He can no longer fight and won't contribute to this war anymore, but why am I still not satisfied? I defeated him, yet why am I not relieved? Why is my blood still boiling? As if someone had answered my questions, the soft glint from the hilt of the man's blade caught my eye. It is almost like I am possessed, but my hand wouldn't stop creeping towards the blade. Right... I told myself I wouldn't be satisfied until I see his head rolling. I want to kill him. It's... justifiable, right...? He harmed my friends. He tried to kill my brother... My actions are... reasonable... right? But no matter what the answers to my questions are, my arm was already raised high above my head, my grip tight around the hilt. My lightning snaked around the blade, making sure that it'll inflict the most pain possible.

But just as the blade began to swing, a tight grip around my wrist stopped me in my tracks.

"Don't."

"B-But he..."

"Vina, don't. You don't have to do this. Don't become a murderer because of me." The tears that I've been so desperately holding back all this time finally gushed out like a waterfall. The sobs that I've been swallowing finally came out. My silent cries finally reached everyone's ears.

The blade slowly slipped out of my hand. It no longer had any strength left in it. My body lost all its will to carry on. I couldn't do anything else but sob on the ground in front of this nearly dead, bloodied man. It scared me. My actions, my thoughts, they all scare me. Although I never considered myself to be a nice person, I've never thought that murder would ever even cross my mind. I didn't think that I'd have such bloodlust in me. And now that I know what I'm capable of, it's scary. The things that I was willing to do for my family... It scares me.

"You did good. You've done enough. You can leave the rest to me." With one final pat on my head, Laxus limped back into the battlefield to rejoin the others, following behind him a trail of his own blood. Why... Why did I just stand there and watched him get stabbed? I could've stopped the man from continuing, yet I just.. stood there. Watching. I did nothing to protect him, yet I wanted to kill the man. I'm seriously... There's... There's something wrong with me.

"... Brother, here. It'll slow down the bleeding a bit." I sliced off the hem of my long skirt and handed it to him, and he could only silently accept it. For the rest of the battle, I sat there watching the backs of my allies, who were all fighting so hard to protect our home. Although I wasn't doing anything, my hands were trembling. No matter how much I tried to warm them up, they wouldn't stop trembling. The one time I had the confidence to do anything, I ended up almost killing someone. But... would it really be wrong for me to kill him? We're at war. People are bound to die, so why am I so shaken up by wanting to kill my enemy?

No, stop it, Levina. This type of thinking... This mindset will ruin you.

Before I could even wrap my head around anything, the same red glow from earlier emerged from the land. Everything in front of me slowly became distorted and I couldn't tell it this was from the magic or my fatigue.