55 - A Fairy Tale

When we returned from our job, Sting's reaction to my surprise visit was just as Rufus had expected– Sting had given him an earful for not letting him know I was also there on the job and questioned the flowers in my hand before letting the poor memory mage explain anything. Although Sting's occasional possessiveness wasn't anything new, watching him nag his team members made me feel a bit bad.

    "Why didn't you tell me you were gonna go on a job with her?! I would've tagged along to hang out!" Sting pouted for the nth time since we got back.

    "That's precisely why I didn't tell you, and besides, you're the guild master, why didn't you know anything about the job description we received?" Rufus sighed.

    "Binaaa, he didn't give you a hard time or anything, right?" Sting whined and clung onto me like a koala.

    "There were some hiccups, but the job went well, don't worry," I chuckled and patted his head.

    "Just hiccups? So me nearly dying was just a hiccup?" the memory mage frowned and rolled his eyes from under his usual mask.

    "Dying?! Bina, are you okay?! You're not hurt anywhere, right?! Nothing bad happened to you, right?!" Sting gasped as he inspected me from all possible angles.

    "I'm fine... He might not be though..." I handed Sting the flowers we received from our job. "For you. You can decorate the guildhall with these."

    "Woah, awesome! Thanks, Beans~" He pecked my cheek and checked out the flowers excitedly. "Hey, how long will you stay over?"

    "Just a couple days. I promised my grandpa to accompany him to some guild masters' meetings so I need to go home by then. I'll be back during our anniversary week."

    "Aw, okay. At least I'll see you at the meetings."

    "Yeah, we can grab a meal then," I said. "Talking about meals, let's eat. I'm starving."

    "Well look who's here. My favorite taste tester is back." My head whipped towards the kitchen to see Ms Minerva and Yukino coming out with a large tray of food on each of their hands. "Kids, gather around. Dinner's ready."

    The seasons had changed once again. The cool, spring breeze and light rainfall were replaced with the bright, golden sun beaming high above our heads, letting its heat waves tire our bodies. The summer heat of July was particularly strong this year, and I can't say I enjoy being outside in this weather. I had arrived at Sabertooth a couple days ago as promised for our fourth anniversary, but I haven't been doing anything except loafing around in the well air-conditioned guildhall and eating ice cream.

    But it was nice to spend some time in this place again. Being able to cook with Ms Minerva and Yukino, having petty arguments with Orga, helping Rogue with some paperwork, and even nerding out with Rufus here and there, it was fun being back here. Not to say I don't have fun back in Fairy Tail, but... this was a different type of fun for me.

    "Why the long face, Princess?" From the corner of my eyes, I can see Orga taking a seat across from me with a small basket of potato fries in his hand.

    "Just thinking about stuff."

    "You know, all that thinking's gonna give you wrinkles early."

    "Maybe you should try using that smooth brain of yours a bit more." I rolled my eyes and slipped a piece of the fries in my mouth, munching away happily.

    "Bruh- Oh! I know! You're moping because Sting's been ignoring you since you got here!" He snapped his fingers proudly as if he had just said something profound.