ten

there's going to be a major time skip in this chapter - I had originally planned to write all of the major plot points for the cullen's history but I'm lowkey getting too antsy to wait any longer so there's essentially going to be a brief overview of what happened and then it's going to get into Carlisle making the treaty with the La Push wolves.

1927

August was unsure of how to react.

Edward's decision to leave the family had been one that left him stunned.

Carlisle had managed to remain supportive of Edward's wishes and while Esme had followed his lead, August couldn't help but feel alone.

"Once a Nymph creates a bond with someone, they are bound to them for life." He had once told Edward, "My relationship with Carlisle, my friendship with yourself and with Esme - I cannot break it. Once it has been established, my subconscious binds each relation to my very being."

Edward had been confused, August remembered, and had said such to the Nymph.

"It means that I cannot betray you without causing great harm to myself." August had laughed, "Say you wished to marry an absolute wanker. While I may not agree with you, I could never take action against you, else my body will attack itself from the inside out."

"Good thing I don't have any plans to marry an awful person, then," Edward had joked.

While this had turned out to be true, the pain of knowing that he was choosing to leave their family behind left a bitter taste in August's mouth. He didn't understand how Edward could leave them with such ease.

But still, despite these thoughts, these feelings - he parted with Edward with well wishes and a hug, promising to keep in touch with him as they both pretended the young Vampire could not hear his thoughts.

__

1931

August couldn't believe it.

Edward had returned.

His stomach churned; a mix of joy and anxiety swirling deeply inside of him. Carlisle gripped his hand tightly, kissing him gently on the forehead as they waited for Esme and Edward to finish saying their hello's.

Carlisle stepped up with a proud, welcoming grin once they were finished, August trailing behind with nerves in his smile. There were a few shared words between Carlisle and Edward, their interaction completed by Carlisle grasping Edward warmly and pulling him into a fatherly embrace.

August swallowed thickly when Carlisle stepped to the side, his hazel eyes blurred with tears. Edward watched him with a guarded expression.

"Hello," He had said. Not too friendly, but not unwelcoming, either.

"Ed."

Edward grinned, after a moment, and both August and he knew - they were forgiven. August stumbled over his feet as he ran forward, lightly bulked arms encircling the shorter man with ease as hot tears built in his eyes.

"I missed you."

"I missed you, too, Auggie."

They pulled away (eventually), Carlisle grinning and wrapping his arm around August's waist. He beckoned for Edward to follow the three others into their house, where they spent the rest of the day hearing of their lost friend's adventures.

__

1931, ROCHESTER

A month or so after Edward's return, it was decided that they would move again in order to protect their shared secrets.