fifteen

August steps out of his sleek car and into the stinging wind outside of Forks High School, his cheeks quickly turning pink in colour as he sniffs, holding his cellphone against his ear.

"I just handed in the papers. It's official."

August's chest swells with joy, his gloved fingers fiddling with the reading glasses in his heavy coat pocket. "We're fathers?"

"We're fathers, Auggie."

"Astounding," August grins. His footsteps halt as he reaches the front entrance to the school, using his shoulder to push his way inside. "We'll have to celebrate later, the lot of us. Listen, Love, I've just stepped inside. I've got to go."

August smiles gently at a few straggling students, bowing his head and focusing on navigating the halls.

"We certainly will. Have a good day, Auggie."

"I love you."

August peaks into a few of the classrooms as he passes them before quickly ducking away when he draws any wandering eyes.

"That's good, because I love you, too."

He lets out a short chuckle when his eyes fall on the same meek brunette that he'd run into the other week - Bella Swan.

"Bella!" August grins, waving at her with one hand whilst the other tucks his phone safely into his pocket. "Fancy meeting you here."

Bella ducks her head and tucks a few strands of hair behind her ear with an awkward laugh and sheepish smile. "Hey. August, right? What are you doing here?"

"Ah," August breathes, holding up the package in his left hand, "I, er, may or may not be delivering some forgotten homework to my kid."

Bella's brows furrow. "Your kid?"

August pauses, his hand lowering hesitantly. "Oh. Er, sorry - I meant Emmett. He left his homework behind again and I'm dropping it off."

Bella watches him with an intrigued gaze for a moment before humming and moving on. "Edward's back," She informs, "He's doing better now?"

August nods, a small smile pulling at his lips at the girl's worry. "Yeah, he's doing better. Thanks for asking, Bella."

"Sure," She says politely. "Just 'cause we don't get along, doesn't mean I don't want him to be okay."

August smiles warmly at her, feeling his heart swell. "That's lovely." He adjusts his grip on Emmett's homework as it begins to slip in his hand, taking this as a sign to get a move on. "Alright, well, I better get this to Emmett in one piece. Stop by the store anytime, yeah? It's been lovely talking with you, and I'm more than happy to help out with homework or answer any questions about caring for your spider plant."

"Sure," Bella smiles, "I, uh, have to get to class anyway. Have a nice day, August."

"You too, Bella."

Bella smiles as August passes her with a kind demeanour, her heart soaring as she turns to see him stumble his way around the corner, unable to keep her smile from growing, nor the soft laugh from escaping her, at his lack of coordination. She notices that he's almost as clumsy as herself, and feels this draw her closer to him.