twenty-nine

An update? 😧 Unheard of! Haha, I hope you guys enjoy this one. I'm gonna go get something to eat, probably, and then head to bed. Or, maybe, I'll work on the next chapter?  👀

August's phone rings again. There's no answer, again.

Hi there! This is August — if I've not answered, then I'm probably a little busy, either with work, my plants or with my sweet baby girl Violet! Say 'hi', Vi—

Hiiiiiiiii!!

August's soft chuckle can be heard on the other end of the receiver; nothing but warmth and love audible in his tone. It's easy to picture the smile he would have been wearing while recording this.

Anyway — sorry you missed me. You can call again, or swing by my store in town. The staff there will be able to give you a good idea of where you can reach me. Bye!

Bye-bye!

...He still hasn't changed his voicemail.

Venom builds behind Carlisle's eyes and he grips the phone in his hand just that slightest bit tighter. "Hey, love, it's just me. Carlisle. Uh, listen — Alice had a vision about Bella, and it's got us all really worked up. She wants to come back to Forks to check up on her... and you. I'm going to come with her, because..." Carlisle sighs, laughing a little bitterly. "Well, I miss you. I don't want to be apart any longer." He clears his throat, pressing a hand against his burning eyes. "Please call me back when you get the chance. We still need to sort out the finer details of this trip," He says, "I'm coming no matter what, but it would be nice to hear your voice again."

Carlisle falls quiet, steadying his needless breaths. "...I love you, August. And I miss you. I'll see you soon."

August was right.

Of course he was! He knew the little wolf boy would be an issue, and he's become one! For everyone!

Honestly.

August sighs, scowling lightly as he takes another sip of tea. Across from him sit Sam and Eli, each of them looking equally as irritated and worn down as he feels. 

"Sorry," Eli signs, "Who decided letting this child anywhere near the girl was a good idea?"

"Someone should ground him. He's sixteen, isn't he? A child should have no absolute say in what they do in their life. That responsibility should fall on the adult's shoulders." August pauses for a moment as his comment simmers amongst the three, and then he sighs as his face crumples into an uncomfortable look. "Okay, no, that's not true — but someone should really think about limiting how long he's alone with Bella. It's not safe for him to go around sharing secrets — dangerous secrets! Not for her, and certainly not for us."

"I know," Sam frowns, "But he's hard to control. Billy thinks it's partially his stubbornness, and partially the wolf inside him trying to fight to lead the pack, despite Jake giving it up."

Eli sighs. "Shit's fucked."

August's phone buzzes repeatedly in his pocket and he sighs, smiling apologetically as he lowers his tea cup. "I'd better take my leave. Something tells me it's not a matter that will be sorted over the phone. Cheers for the tea, Sam. I'll swing by later this afternoon to talk with some of the younger wolves, if you'd like."

Sam smiles warmly, raising his mug in thanks. "Sounds good. Thanks, August."

August takes his leave, smiling gently as he passes Leah in the doorway and noticing as her eyes almost immediately fall onto Eli behind him as he does. Once he's closer to the car he drove to the Uley household, he answers the phone, lifting it to his ear. "Hello? Who is this?"