thirty

The quality of audio on the call is abysmal. 

With the poxy weather around them, the raging winds and wild, punishing rain, of course it is. Still, though, August's stomach dips as he watches her name flash across the screen of his cell phone. This is all too familiar. Far too similar to...

No. Now's not the time. He needs to focus on Bella; not the people who are gone.

"Bella?" He cries into the phone. The storm is so loud, he can barely hear his own voice.

"August--" That's not Bella? Their voice crackles over the line, the interference of the storm cutting the call out every other word or so."Bella -- Storm -- saw something -- cliff. I can't --" 

Jacob's voice is muffled during a particularly harsh gust of wind, and August cringes, shielding his eyes from the rain. "What was that?" He tries, all hostility toward the boy forgotten at the threat of an injured or missing Bella. "You're breaking up!"

"She's gone! I -- jumped off -- can't see her -- red-haired leech --!"

August's stomach churns violently, and he swallows down the sudden rush of Rot-tainted bile that tries to fight its way up his throat. "I'm on my way. Where are you?" There's a breeding ground of anxiety and stress in his chest as the dial tone echoes in his ears, and for one panic-filled moment, August worries something has happened.

Then his phone chimes, and through squinted eyes he sees their location on the map on his screen. They're not far; just at La Push. About a fifteen minute drive from his shop. August takes off running towards them without a word to anyone in the store behind him. 

He can make it in two.

"Jeez. That storm's really rolling in." Leah pulls away from the curtains in her living room with her brows furrowed in worry despite the smile that plays at her lips. She glances at Eli. "You sure you can't stay any longer?"

He smiles sheepishly and looks up from his phone. "Well... I'd say no, but my daughter has just texted me to make a social life for myself, so... Sure."

Leah smiles charmingly, the tanned skin of her cheeks flushing a pretty pink colour, and Eli ducks his head as a lump forms in his throat and his heart pounds in his chest. How can someone be so impossibly stunning? He watches her as she crosses the room to the kitchen, looking over her shoulder at him with a shimmer in her eye and a promise in her smile and oh dear god look at how gorgeous she is how is he possibly supposed to be normal around her 

"Eli?" She tilts her head just barely, watching him watch her with an amused little smile and rose coloured cheeks. "What're you doing?"

Busted.

August sprints.

He moves faster than he has in a long time. The icy rain hits his cheeks with so much force it's almost bruising, but he pushes through it, his heart suspended in his chest, his eyes tight with worry and fear.

This fear builds and builds and etches itself into his bones, his teeth, and he aches. His eyes well with tears as he pushes through the pain, the earth shifting beneath his feet as roots and vines rise to meet him, pushing him further, farther, faster. He has to make it, this time.

August feels pain dig deeply into his body, feels his bones itching beneath his skin, and his hazel eyes well with tears. It's with a chilling breath that he watches Esme, hot tears streaming down her cheeks, take some few steps toward the edge of the cliff. She teeters on the edge, short, gasping breaths escaping her as she trembles.