twenty-four

OCTOBER

FROM: Alice Cullen (alicepixcullen@gmail.com)

TO: August Cullen (auggiestrees23@gmail.com)

Auggie,

I really miss you. We all do. When you wrote last, you asked what was happening on our end, so I'll let you know now.

Rosalie and Emmett are talking about leaving to go on another anniversary-slash-honeymoon trip. Esme thinks it's a lovely idea, but I know she's going to miss them. We're her children, after all. Parents don't like watching us "leave the nest", so to speak.

Jasper and I might leave, too. I don't really know. After our talk in the clearing, he's been more open about discussing it with me. He knows that, back then, there were many who were against his and the Confederacy's way of thinking; that he didn't have to do what he did. His guilt is eating at him. I don't think it will ever stop, to be honest, but it might be alleviated some if we... He's mentioned wanting to become more involved in anti-racism movements recently. I was thinking we could do that while we're away from Forks.

Aside from that, some exciting news — I've seen Esme meeting someone new. His face is blurry right now, but he makes her happy. I can see it. I won't tell her yet, in case something changes, but I can't wait! She deserves to find her happiness. Edward has stayed in his room, mostly, and won't talk much, but Jasper says he's depressed. Carlisle has been trying to have him see a psychologist or at the very least talk about his emotions. But... He's Edward.

Carlisle is... surviving. I know he wouldn't want me to tell you, to worry you, but I also know that you would want to know. He's... being away from you has certainly taken its toll on him, in more ways than one. He's obviously exhausted, and his hair is dull, and he smiles, but the smiles aren't as real and they don't reach his eyes. I've caught him massaging his chest over his heart and wincing like he's in pain, but he always acts like nothing is wrong when he notices someone watching him.

Something tells me that you aren't much better. I haven't told him, but... August, your future is fading quickly. I can barely see you anymore. I know you're looking after Bella, but... please look after yourself as well.

Stay safe. I love you.

August says his goodbyes to the plants, flips the store sign to 'CLOSED' and walks out of the door, locking it behind him. He clears his throat, brows furrowing as his chest tightens.

The man walks around the corner and ducks into a poorly lit alleyway, out of sight of any passersby, where he collapses into a fit of coughs, one gloved hand pressed against the wall to hold himself up as his body trembles while the other covers his mouth. When the coughing stops, he takes ragged breaths and lets himself slide to the floor. August pulls his hand away and stares at it intently with a frown.

His phone chimes and, disregarding the black goo coating his trembling hand, August unlocks it and opens the message.

Hey, August. Mind watching over Bella for me? She hasn't spoken to me all day, and I've gotta go to work. I know she'll talk to you. It's alright if not, of course, I just wanted to try all my options.

August swallows his pain and types his message with shaking fingers. On my way over now.

FROM: August Cullen (auggiestrees23@gmail.com)

TO: Alice Cullen (alicepixcullen@gmail.com)

Dearest Alice,

I'm glad to hear that you are supportive of Jasper's endeavours. I believe it would be good for him to participate in these anti-racism rallies and events. I know he would love to have you there with him. Emmett and Rose going on their... what, their second, third honeymoon? Whatever number it is, it is nice to see them still so in love with one another after all these years.