fourteen

CARLISLE

Inside his study, Carlisle shines his small flashlight into August's eyes, watching in relief as his pupils dialate. He breathes out a sigh and drops his shoulders, leaning forward and resting his head against his partner's shoulder as he sets the torch down on the desk next to August's legs.

He feels his mate shift slightly and a hand comes to rest gently on the back of Carlisle's neck, warm to the touch and sending pleasant tingles down his spine.

Carlisle lifts his hands to rest on August's thighs where they sit on top of his desk, feeling his grip tighten as he breathes out shakily and meets August's gaze with golden eyes slick with venom. "I thought you were hurt. I didn't..."

He releases a shaky breath and closes his eyes as August pulls him closer by the back of his neck, gently pressing Carlisle's forehead against his with one hand while the other falls to rest on the Vampire's waist.

"Hey," August whispers. He pulls his hand from the back of Carlisle's neck to brush lightly across the flawless skin of his cheek. "Hey. Look at me, Darling. Please look at me."

Carlisle releases a shuddering breath, then peers up through his lashes at August.

"I'm not going anywhere, Carlisle, okay?" August's hand drops and trails around to Carlisle's back, his hand dipping beneath Carlisle's soft button-up shirt and lightly tracing his fingers over the raised skin on his back. "I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you."

Carlisle shudders, practically melting into August's warmth as he sighs. He can't muster the strength to speak and instead allows his head to rest against August's broad chest, eyes fluttering shut and arms lifting to wrap around his waist.

"You want to go read a book? Just... relax?"

"Mm-hm," Carlisle hums with a soft, contented tone, "Yeah. Please."

"Okay. Back up for me, Darling."

Carlisle pulls away hesitantly, wanting only the feel of August's warmth against him, and watches as the Nymph pushes himself off of the desk with a soft grunt.

"Okay, Love," August says softly, crouching slightly to hook his arm under Carlisle's legs and pulling him close to his chest as his other arm slides around his back. "Where do you want to go? Our room?"

Carlisle nods, resting his head against August's chest and watching with a soft smile and warm eyes as his partner focuses on taking care of him.

"I love you," Carlisle whispers. "More than anything."

August hums softly before glancing down at Carlisle, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. "I love you, too."

Carlisle hums softly, running his lithe fingers through August's fluffy hair as he snores softly, a gentle smile on his lips.

He admires the curve of his jawline and the freckles that dot his cheeks with a tenderness reserved only for August. The gentle smile on the edges of his lips stretches as the man in his lap grumbles quietly and nuzzles further into him in his sleep cutely.

A soft knock at the door echoes through the room and Carlisle pauses, his cool fingers tangled in August's curls. August shifts before his honeyed voice reaches Carlisle, no louder than a sigh.