thirty-two

Carlisle looks up from the book in his hands with a tender smile when August finally stirs. "Good morning," He says gently, "How did you sleep?"

August smiles back, eyes still murky with sleep. "The best I have in months." He tells him. "I love you." He watches the way Carlisle's smile grows ever-so-slightly at the corners, his sharp, pointed canines on display. "And I love your smile. You have a good smile."

Carlisle breathes a laugh and leans close to August, leaning his forehead against his and gently stroking the brunette's cheek with the back of his hand. "Yeah?"

August nods just barely, his eyes fluttering in a haze of comfort and sleep. "Mmhm," He whispers, "It makes me feel more."

"More?" Carlisle nudges August's nose gently with his own, his heart aching with adoration for the man before him. "More what?"

August shrugs half-heartedly, on the brink of sleep as he nuzzles into Carlisle's neck. His words are muffled, but Carlisle can hear them as clear as day. "More at peace; more alive. More."

He hears as August's heartbeat steadies out, and feels his warm breath against his neck as he falls asleep. Carlisle smiles warmly and tightens his hold on the man, pressing a tender kiss to the top of his head before ducking into the warmth in the crook of August's neck. "You make me feel more, too." He says quietly. He closes his eyes and lets the warmth of his partner and the sound of his steady breathing envelope him.

If anyone thought to ask Elizabeth what she was doing hanging around the (mostly) irritating human, she'd threaten them with a hex and then scoff and walk off, because she definitely doesn't like Bella, and she certainly would never willingly hang out with her. Not a chance.

(This is a lie.)

If anyone thought to ask Ellie what she was doing hanging around the strange Cullen girl, however, she would scowl, and her cheeks would flush with heat, and she would probably threaten them with a hex as well, just to maintain her image. Even if she does think that Alice is beautiful and kind. But no. Because her heart absolutely does not drop and spin and lurch and flutter every time she makes eye contact with her. Not a chance.

...Okay, so, it does, but who could blame her? Alice is a goddess before her, tantalisingly sweet with an unbidden danger lurking beneath the surface of those molten gold eyes, and she is calling to Ellie. Luring her deeper, closer, and it is so very hard not to come running.

(This is not a lie.)

Ellie had poofed into existence in the passenger seat of Alice's pilfered vehicle a while ago, now. Not long after Bella had slid into the back seat so she could stretch out and listen to music in the hopes of distracting herself of her anxiety. With her eyes closed, the girl could be asleep, if not for the repetitive tapping of her fingers on the leather of the seat beneath her.

"So," Alice says, her voice gentle and melodic. Her gentle manner contrasts completely the way she drives, her grip on the steering wheel leaving indents in the leather as she speeds by their surroundings, weaving in and out of traffic with practised ease. It shows the stress bubbling beneath her marble skin. "How are you feeling? Is your head still hurting?"

Ellie smiles despite herself. She can't help it. Not when Alice is looking at her so tenderly; so warmly. It makes her heart ache with something she's only ever felt once before. Her cheeks grow warm under Alice's stare. "I suppose," She responds quietly. "It doesn't hurt as much as it did. I..." She hesitates as her mouth dries, and she stops to wet her lips before she meets Alice's molten eyes. She can only keep the pixie girl's gaze for so long before her heart pounds angrily in her chest and she has to look out the window. "I believe it's you." She tells Alice, voice quiet. "You... make it easier to breathe. To think."