eighteen

"I can't believe he's bringing the human."

"Rosalie, be nice. It's been a long while since your brother has gotten some."

"August!" Esme gasps, gaping at the man who grins cheekily in response, his eyes falling onto the amused Rosalie. August ducks away from Esme's swatting hand, spinning into Carlisle's side and kissing his forehead before beginning to help prepare the meal.

"What? I'm not wrong."

"You add a little bit of olive oil to a non-stick saucepan." The voice of the television chef says quietly. "And you want to cook with the olive oil in medium-high heat."

"But seriously, Ro — Bella's a sweet kid. Give her a chance."

The blonde huffs and rolls her eyes, holding out the salad bowl for Emmett to add ingredients into.

"What I do, I cut this in strips, and then we gonna cut this..."

August watches Carlisle fondly as the Vampire follows the chef's instructions, spending more time admiring his partner's features than he does actually helping.

"Is she even Italian?"

Carlisle presses a gentle hand against August's side and presses a kiss to his shoulder before nudging him out of the way so he can get the pork onto the saucepan.

"Her name is Bella." Emmett tells his wife, raising a brow at her.

August sighs through his nose but smiles gently when Carlisle squeezes his side as he turns his head, "I'm sure she'll love it no matter what." The head of the coven placates.

August nods, "She'll appreciate that we're even doing this for her. Bells is a nice girl, Rosalie."

"Oh, so it's Bells, now? What is she, an instrument?"

"Rosalie." August groans.

Rosalie rolls her eyes and sighs just as August moves out of the busy kitchenette and stands at her side. "Get a whiff of that. Here comes the human." She sings.

August feels his his mood rise with Esme's excitement as she abandons the kitchen to stand with a welcoming smile. He hums in content as Carlisle sidles up to him and quickly wraps his arm around the blond's waist.

"Come back to the stove with me," Carlisle whispers, staring into August with molten eyes. "I miss you."

August allows himself to be pulled behind Carlisle, eyes half-lidded, and smiles easily. "I only just left, but... No convincing needed, Love."

The two men smile lovingly at eachother and retreat to Carlisle's place by the saucepan, where the Vampire watches diligently over the food, making sure it doesn't burn, and the Nymph watches over him.

"Bella," Esme greets, all warm and motherly, "We're making Italiano."

"Ooh, yum," The girl smiles, tucking hair behind her ear. "That sounds great."

"Bella," Edward smiles, "This is Esme, my older sister, for all intents and purposes."

"Bon giorno," Bella smiles.

"Molto bene!"

"Wait," Bella realises, her brows furrowed, "I thought you and Carlisle were..."

"Oh!" Esme laughs, "Oh, God, no."

"That would be me." August smiles over his shoulder at the girl, drawing attention to where he and Carlisle stand, August's arms wrapped around the blond's front as he cooks.