twenty-two

August hugs his partner from behind, leaning his head against Carlisle's with a weary smile playing at his lips. Together, he and his family watch as Bella descends the staircase with Alice and Edward. She pauses and smiles as she sees the decorations around the room, letting Alice pull her the remainder of the way down the stairs. Carlisle takes August's hand gently, tangling their fingers, and pulls him to the bottom of the staircase to greet the birthday girl with the rest of their family.

"I'm sorry about this." Carlisle smiles, taking Bella's hands gently in his. "We tried to rein Alice in." Esme gently squeezes August's arm as she sidles up to him, smiling warmly. August returns the look as best he can, though the dark bruises beneath his eyes have yet to leave him, and it's hard to ignore the pallor to his usually tanned skin. "As if that were even possible," Esme jokes, pulling the girl into a motherly embrace. "Happy birthday, Bella."

"Thanks." Bella smiles. There's a flash and the shutter of Bella's birthday present from Charlie — a camera —as Alice photographs the two. They pull apart, turning to look at the pixie girl. "I found it in your bag. Mind?" Bella shakes her head as she overhears Emmett speaking to Edward.

"Dating an older woman. Hot."

His smile fades as he spots the look that Edward shoots him. "What?"

Knowing that the human's age is a sore topic for her, August takes Bella's wrist in his hand gently, offering a small, fond smile as he ignores her quiet gasp at his cold fingertips. "Happy birthday, Bells." August says gently, "You look stunning." Bella smiles bashfully and ducks her head with a gentle smile. "Thanks, Auggie." She pulls away from his touch, realising with a start that there's a cool, gentle pressure lingering on the wrist he had been holding — there, shimmering gently in the warm light of the Cullen home, is a dainty sterling silver bracelet, twisted by design. Her eyes snap to meet the man's, mouth slightly agape, and she watches as he smirks and winks before leaning into Carlisle's hold.

Alice slides to Rosalie's side. "Your turn, Rosalie." She hands the woman a sleek silver box. The blonde pushes it in Bella's direction without fanfare. "It's a necklace." She tells her, forcing herself to be polite. "Alice picked it out." She looks away, bored. Alice pulls Edward over and positions him next to Bella. "Show me the love." She grins, taking a photo of the two. She then spins around to face the table and slides another gift off of it, handing it to Bella. "This is from Emmett."

August notices Jasper standing alone out of the corner of his eyes and squeezes Carlisle lightly to grab his attention, gesturing to the blond once he has it. Carlisle nods lightly, pressing a gentle kiss to the curve of August's jaw in farewell. The Nymph crosses the room to Jasper's side, elbowing him gently as he leans close. "How are you doing, Cowboy?" The younger male notably relaxes, his shoulders falling from their tense position as August's woody scent provides a barrier from Bella's blood and his sibling's emotions. Jasper nods, pulling his gaze away from Alice briefly to look at August. "Better than you," He says lightly, a slight, teasing smile at the edge of his lips, though it doesn't do much to hide the worry in his amber eyes. August huffs a laugh, settling against the wall behind them as he watches Bella continue through her gifts.

"That's not saying much." He says quietly. Jasper leans next to him, releasing a wave of comfort onto the Nymph. "Thank you." August says. "But, really. I know how hard it is for you, to be around all of..." August pauses, unable to find the right word, and instead settles for gesturing to the crowd of supernaturals (and Bella) before them. "That. Did you want to get some air? Or, just... I don't know."

"Open Esme and Carlisle's!" Alice says, smiling excitedly as she hands the gift to Bella. "Just a little something to brighten your day." Carlisle jokes, smiling fondly at the girl. "Yes, you've been looking kind of pale, lately." Esme smiles. Jasper pauses, his eyes falling on Alice once more as he swallows thickly and nods. "Uh. Yeah. That might be a good idea." August nods and stands straight, waiting for Jasper to do the same. The two men begin to cross the room, and just make it to the back door when the room stiffens. Jasper tenses at August's side, dark eyes trained intently on Bella, and August almost immediately grabs hold of his arm tightly. The trees call out to him, offering their strength. He accepts. "Look at me. Look at me, Jas. Come on. Look at me."