twenty-eight

Edit: Would really appreciate any feedback — anything at all. Whether that be through voting or  just leaving a comment... that would be great. :)

Lot of time skips this chapter. Kinda sucky, I know, but I really just couldn't find the motivation to continue writing through emo Bella. It just... A lot of the plot of this film has nothing to do with Auggie, even if he is friends with Bella, and so I'll probably do a few quick scenes and then skip to the end for the next couple chapters.

Vi calls out to August, her lips pulled into a wide toothy grin. "Papa! You're back!" She sprints to him and jumps into his arms, her cheeks rosy and her hair thick as the winter breeze rushes past her. "I missed you!"

August chuckles and spins around on the spot, holding Violet tightly to him. "I've missed you too, love. How have you been? Has Auntie Elkin been taking good care of you?"

"Of course I have. Haven't I, Twig?"

A woman with wavy grey-streaked hair steps into August's line of sight, her warm brown eyes crinkling as she smiles at the sight before her. "You've had lots of fun with me."

August pauses, his mind faintly registering his sister's human form. "Elkin?"  Neither of them acknowledge him.

"'Course I have."

August's brows furrow, his smile fading slightly as he realises Violet isn't in his arms anymore. Instead, she's sitting across from him at Elkin's side, glancing briefly up from her cell phone to smile charmingly at the two adults. The cafe the three of them are in has a soft jazz song playing over the speakers, just barely audible over the din of the patrons around them.

"You and Esme really made the weekend loads of fun, and Puff Jr. even helped with my Trig homework. For an animal, he sure knows his stuff." Her eyes slide away from her phone screen and she looks at August with a concerned expression. "You alright, Pa?"

He blinks and forces a smile. "Er — yeah. It's just— it seems like just yesterday you were a little girl—"

His mind flashes with images. A gloomy sky. The trees weeping for the loss of his little girl. He sits at Violet's grave alone, Carlisle nowhere to be found. His arms, black with Rot. He —

"Well, yeah," Violet grunts. She nudges his ankle with her foot, a cheeky smile pulling at her lips as she adjusts the heavy box in her arms. Written on the side in permanent marker is the word 'KITCHEN'. "I mean, it doesn't help that you're, like, thousands of years old. I bet twenty years to you goes by in the blink of an eye."

His eyes fall onto his daughter and he speaks without really thinking. "You know I'm not that old, darling — I'm barely fifty!"

What? That's not right —

Carlisle appears from around the corner, two boxes in his arms as he laughs softly, his blond hair falling into his eyes as he does so. "C'mon, Kiddo, don't bully your dad. I happen to think he's aged quite well."

He stops what he's doing to press a kiss to August's head, tenderly cupping his cheek as he pulls away. "He's as handsome as the day I married him."

August smiles at him lovingly, pressing a gentle kiss to his hand. "And yet I still don't hold a candle to your beauty."

Violet groans from the other room. "Ew! You two are so adorable it's actually making me sick. Would you stop the love fest and come help me with these boxes?"

August laughs. "One day, Vi, you're going to know just how we feel about eachother with your own partner. When that day comes, I assure you, I will get my revenge. I..." August's eyes settle on the skin of his arms and he pauses. Shouldn't this skin of his be blackened and unfeeling? Plagued by the Rot that would eat away at him from the inside out?