7. ziggi

different look. interesting. the photograph looks like one of those old fashioned black and white ones that were coloured in by photographers before there was even colour film around. but it cannot be. this is not a very old picture. taken in the open. or, at least, made to look like it was taken outside. ocean in back. but look again. carefully. upon closer inspection it seems as if the person is standing in front of one of those fake backgrounds; this ocean is just too cheesy and in fact does not really look like the sea at all. the sky that is visible is a pale and unnatural turquoise colour that seems like it was handpainted with a brush. at first glance one has the impression of the writer leaning backwards on elbows, maybe onto a ship’s railing. now i am not sure that this is the case; maybe it’s a fake railing as well? (perhaps it’s one of those excursions where you go on a cruise or a trip of some sort and when you step off the boat they let you pose in front of a fake picturesque scene for a postcard picture you can keep) the very dark hair is cropped short but looks to point in every direction. very high cheekbones. neat ears close to the head. eyes are slanting upwards and look straight at you, inquiring and speculative. thick and neat brows. high forehead. skin likes sun. olive. petulant mouth, stubborn and seemingly in a permanent pout. the person in this picture does not take a backseat to anything. there is a take-me-as-i-am-or-leave-me look in the eyes, although it is difficult to tell for sure. an air of self absorption hovers about the figure in the photo. or maybe it is just the sense of focus that radiates from the face. an individual who has one goal and one goal only: to write and to write as well as possible. never anything less. and succeeding too. because i  have read and it is good!