Chapter 8 - The Ceremony

It's the new year but since the pack had a different way of counting the days, Jason didn't celebrate his New Year as others would. It's not any different than what he usually did in the past, he never really had anyone to hang out with let alone celebrate anything. The anthros however celebrate their version of New Year entirely differently. Jason, Kaya, and the rest of her pack were sitting around a giant firepit, A large fire was ablaze as dancers were dancing around it, all wearing ceremonial costumes and banging on ceremonial drums. Their costumes consisted of deer bones, fur, teeth, and even their hooves, a few other costumes also utilize bear parts as well, even using the head. Although they spoke English, they did chant in an odd way. As they were chanting, Jason and Kaya were sitting together chatting with one another.

Kaya: I'm glad you decided to celebrate our version of a New Years' celebration with us Jason!

She said cuddling with him on the log.

Jason: Well you guys celebrated Christmas with me so the least I could do is celebrate your beliefs, honey.

He said warming into the cuddle. The two continued to watch the ceremony, Aponivi and Rofl then got closer to chat with the two.

Rofl: You enjoying the ceremony Jason? 

Rofl asks as she sits down and lays her head on Aponivi's shoulder.

Jason: I am actually, reminds me of ceremonies other humans do, very similar, I don't know what they do it for but some do it to please their deity, others do it as a means of exorcising demons, and so on. My kind has lots of ways to celebrate things, and this is one example. It's still a sight to see!

Jason says as he scratches Kaya's head and uses his fingers to comb her hair and fur. Kaya just melts into it and nearly falls asleep. 

Aponivi: Glad you're enjoying it, I plan to have an announcement later in this ceremony and I was hoping you would be here. Again, thanks for coming.

He said taking a sip of his wine, Kotori was joining in on the dance as he was getting friendly with another wolf, she was in a ceremonial costume so she couldn't be identified clearly. Jason knew what he meant by the announcement since the talk they had during the dinner he made them in the past, he knew he would announce it during a major event and tonight is the night. 

After the dance and the ceremony, everyone just loitered around the fire and chatted among themselves. Aponivi then got up and is about to make his announcement.

Aponivi: Could I get everyone's attention, please? 

He said as the other wolves start to quiet down.

Aponivi: Thank you. Moons ago, we made contact with the man now known as Jason, he has been nothing but kind to us despite being forced to meet us. He even gave us two deer as peace offerings which was very kind of him given the situation he was in. After that interaction, I offered him a proposition in helping us hunt in exchange for him being able to live in our territory. Ever since then, he has been nothing but helpful and kind to our pack, even saving Kotori and Kaya from a bear attack, he was also generous enough to even cook the bear for us. Jason even invited us to his home to cook us a meal. He shared his own beliefs with us in the form of his own traditions and gave us gifts out of kindness. And he now came to our ceremony with our own set of beliefs. In the event with Nukpana and his lackeys trying to get rid of Jason and when Moki tried to harm my daughter, Jason stepped up and protected her. Even before the event, Jason admitted to being protective of Kaya and our pack, and he said he would risk his own life for us. He and Kaya have been even closer since the incident, and Rofl and I approve of their relationship. Jason is a kind-hearted man and is willing to let down his life for the ones he cares for. As of today, I fully welcome Jason as an official member of our pack Hopi.