(Super Mario): He's Gone...

Alma's new friend, Pedro, suddenly stops showing up to play.

-----

Alma walked through the castle doors, feeling rather dejected and upset. This was the 6th time Pedro hadn't shown up. She had gone out to their usually meeting spot where they met everyday and he hadn't been there. The seven year old Koopa walked into the throne room, and her papa, the king, stood up, walking up to her.

"Alma? What's wrong mija?" He asked holding her hands in his own as he looked up at her.

"Pedro didn't come to play with me today. I was left alone again," Alma frowned. Alma's father frowned, and his heart hurt for his daughter. She didn't know...

"Did I do something wrong? Did I scare him away like others? Like I always do?" Alma said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Mija...you didn't scare him away," Her father said, guiding her to sit down. "Alma do you know what happens when someone dies?"

Alma looked at her father, confused. "Yes. It's when people go to Heaven and don't come back." Alma said and her father knew she hadn't quite caught on.

"You know how I'm human?" He asked and Alma nodded. Of course she did. But that never stopped him from loving her, he was the best dad and she wouldn't trade him for anyone else. "Well...humans aren't as tough as Koopas like you. We don't live as long either."

Alma was still confused. Her papa looked sad, upset. Like something went wrong.

"Alma. Pedro was a human, so he's much more fragile than you are." He explained and Alma slowly nodded. "There was...an accident at Pedro's home. And...he and his parents...they didn't make it."

Alma furrowed her eyebrows. What was he saying, what did he mean? He wasn't implying what she thought he was implying, right?

"Papa, where's Pedro? What happened to Pedro?" Alma asked, slowly becoming for frantic and upset. Her father stayed silent for a moment. "Papa?"

"Pedro...Pedro passed away, mija," he said quietly and Alma stared for a moment. Passed...away? So...he was gone? They couldn't play anymore? "Mija?"

Alma didn't say anything as she finally realized what her father was saying Pedro died. The Madrigals were gone now. And she had no one to play with. She had lost the only friend she had. Tears welled up in her eyes and her papa hugged her tightly.

He knew she was rather close with the boy. Alma was picked on a lot because of how she looked. A Koopa, like her mama. Kids always picked on her because she was taller (taller than him now), and looked different. And he hated it. He did everything in his power to help her. But being the King of the Koopa Kingdom, the human king at that, didn't mean much to a bunch of mean 7 and 8 year olds.

He couldn't do much anymore, all he could do is hold his heartbroken daughter as she cried.