(Giftless Grandkids AU): Antonio doesn't want a Gift

Pepa walked up to Mirabel who was in the kitchen with Julieta. She had been helping her mamá plan and draw out how she would decorate Antonio's birthday cake. The boy's birthday was tomorrow, his fifth birthday. Pepa was so excited for her son, she would make sure he would have so much fun. But first, she needed to...talk to Julieta. Alone.

"Mirabel, can you go check on Antonio? I think he's nervous about tomorrow, and I just can't find him. Maybe you can and cheer him up?" Pepa asked Mirabel who was busy decorating a gift box while pointing out things Antonio likes on the cake.

Mirabel smiled at her tía, standing up. "Of course! I know just where he'll be, don't worry," Mirabel said and Pepa beamed as the girl walked off, thanking her.

Mirabel exited the kitchen, humming as she made her way towards the stairs. As she did she saw Isabela coming inside from the garden, a pot with a beautiful plant in her hands. "Hola Isa!"

Isabela looked up and smiled at Mirabel, awkwardly waving. "Hola Mirabel! What are you doing?" She asked, Casifa helping her keep her balance as she placed the plant on a nearby table.

Mirabel waved her hand off. "Oh, I'm just going to help cheer up Antonio. He's just nervous about tomorrow." Isabela's features softened. She knew what that was like. All of them did. But they had long since gotten used to it.

"Alright, well good luck, I'll see you later!" Isabela said and Mirabel waved her off.

Mirabel quickly made her way to the nursery, opening the door. Her eyes landed on Antonio's bed, and she could hear him shuffling underneath it. Quietly, she dropped down, joining him underneath. Antonio didn't say anything, all he did was scooch closer, leaning against her.

"Mirabel?" Antonio asked quickly, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt sleeve.

"Yeah, Toñito?" Mirabel hummed, glancing down at him.

"I don't...I don't want a gift. I don't wanna do the ceremony tomorrow," Antonio confessed and Mirabel's eyes widened but she quickly recovered before she looked at him.

"Why's that little one?" Mirabel said, nudging him gently. Antonio sat up, an unreadable look on his face.

"I wanna be like you. And Isa, and Lola and Lulu and Milo," Antonio said, looking up at Mirabel. He had tears in his eyes. "I mean, Mamá's gift is cool, and so is Tía Juli and Tío Bruno's. But I wanna do stuff with you guys. I don't want things to change."

Mirabel smiled before wrapping an arm around Antonio. "Antonio. You don't have to worry. Getting a gift is...well to put it easy, not common. You saw that me and you siblings and your other primas didn't get one. But that didn't stop us. And even if you did get a gift, things wouldn't have to change."

"Really?" Antonio sniffed, wiping his eyes.

"Really," Mirabel said and Antonio smiled, leaning into Mirabel's little side hug. And I'll let you in on a little secret," Mirabel whispered and Antonio looked excited.

"Really? What is it?" He whispered back and Mirabel leaned in close.

"Our doors on our birthdays always disappeared. Me and Camilo didn't even get to do the ceremony. And Isabela, Dolores, and Luisa's door disappeared the day off. So I think you'll get off the hook," Mirabel winked at Antonio, who giggled, nodding. Casita's moved a couple of floorboards as if confirming Mirabel's little secret. "So, in the...pfft...impossible, scenario that you do get a gift. Me and the others are just gonna have to move in with you, huh?

"Yeah, I guess," Antonio giggled. Both he and Mirabel crawled from under the bed, dusting themselves off. "But...I just hope it doesn't." Mirabel smiled gently at Antonio.

"Well anyway. Me and Mamá were drawing up your cake...wanna go sneak a peek at what we got?" Mirabel smirked at Antonio, a mischievous look in her eye that she had picked up from Camilo.

"Yeah!" Antonio said. Mirabel pulled him along and out of the nursery. She was glad she was able to cheer Antonio up. And maybe it was selfish to think but...Mirabel didn't want Antonio to get a gift either. And she wasn't the only one. Her hermanas and other primos had expressed the same thing. But it looked like Antonio didn't want one either.

Mirabel stole a glance at the swirling gold that was on the other side of the hallway. She chuckled under her breath, knowing that it probably wouldn't be there the next day. Not that it mattered. Antonio would still be a Madrigal, still be her primo and still be her best friend.

Gift or no gift, that wouldn't change.