(Ballerina Mirabel AU): First Variation

Mirabel somehow was doing it. She was keeping up with the music. She was on one foot, hopping. Then was the final part. The spinning and turning. She stopped, lifted her leg, and was off. She flew about the stage, keeping her balance. She kept going, she was doing it. Live. In front of all these people. She hadn't tripped or stumbled once during the entire performance.

Her first variation, her solo en pointe, and she was doing great. The had perfected the finishing move, and as the music ended, she huffed, her hands outstretched and her smile wide as she beamed. Her eyes first landed on her abuela, who was in the very front, watching her every move. And she couldn't have looked more proud. She looked more proud than when she first started ballet. And now she had just done her first variation, perfectly, and it was from Abuela's favorite ballet no less.

Was this what having her approval was like? What getting a gift was like? Because if so, all of that practice paid off.

Mirabel then looked towards the two (three if you counted her father) loudest ones in the crowd. They were also in the front; her mamá, Julieta, and her older sister, Luisa. They were both cheering loudly, and Julieta suddenly pulled a bouquet from seemingly nowhere and chucked it directly at Mirabel. The girl easily caught it, having gotten used to her mother and her somehow perfected aim when it came to throwing bouquets. Luisa tried to do this same, missing, but Mirabel still turned around and grabbed it, among the other dozens of roses thrown onto the stage by other people.

Mirabel smiled, trying to wave as her abuela taught her to, but she couldn't hide her excitement. She had started practicing this particular variation around when she first got en pointe. Abuela had said that yes, it was a hard dance, but Mirabel was hard work, and since she practiced every day, she believed the girl could pick it up and do it. Mirabel was naturally light on her feet, so turns and spins weren't even an issue for her. And she did it. And she couldn't have been more happy!

The curtains closed and Mirabel walked to the back of the stage and was immediately met with her family (most of them) standing there. Luisa immediately picked her up, hugging her close.

"You did awesome!" She beaming. Luisa reluctantly let her go, and she was engulfed in a hug by both of her parents.

"You were great mija!" Agustin said, kissing Mirabel. The girl blushed, shaking her head. Sure she had gotten compliments for her dancing, but she never got used to it for some reason.

"You did amazing mi amor," Julieta said. She then went through the routine of checking Mirabel's body for injuries. Mirabel constantly reassured her she was fine, but Julieta couldn't help but worry. After swallowing an arepa, her mother kissed her one last time, whispering about how proud she was before following the others to the main house. Alma waited until they all left and held Mirabel's hands beaming.

"Did I do good abuela? I did all the turns without tripping!" Mirabel said proudly and Alma nodded, holding Mirabel's face in her hands.

"You did amazing. Your first variation, and you did it perfectly," she pulled Mirabel into a  hug. "At this rate, you'll be the prima ballerina of the Encanto. I'm so proud of you." Alma said gently. Tears well up in Mirabel's eyes as she heard that.

Sure, she had heard her abuela say that to her before, especially whenever she perfected a ballet move. But hearing it now? On this day? It just felt so much more significant. She buried her face in her abuela's face as she let those words sink in.