(Avatar TLA AU): First Air Bender

Mirabel pulled her nightdress over her head, readjusting her glasses as she put her bow onto her vanity. After she left her room, she glanced up and down the hallway. The family was asleep, or at least in their rooms. She felt Casita's tiles shift and she shushed the house playfully.

"I know, but it'll only take a second," Mirabel whispered before going downstairs. It was a routine at this point. Since she didn't bend anything on her 5th birthday, she figured she was a late bloomer. After all, her primos and hermanas could bend. Her mama, tia, and tio could. So she just had to be able to bend something...right?

And it wasn't like she was singled out because she couldn't bend. Her abuela, papa, and tio Félix couldn't bend. And she had trained with melee so far, and she found it fun! But...something deep down wanted her to be able to bend. She just wanted to be like the other family members.

So, every night, before she went to sleep, she would go up to the table and try to bend something. Of course, she hadn't been successful in the past 5, almost 6 years but...she wasn't giving up now. Something told her she was close. Her next birthday was soon, her 11th, and she wasn't gonna give up now.

She finally came up to the familiar room she had been in and walked back several times. She could see the four objects used to see if a Madrigal child could bend were sitting then. A bowl of water, a few rocks, a candle, and some marbles. The marbles had never been used. No one could airbend. The only airbender had been her Abuelo, Pedro. But he was long gone, and no one in the entire village had been able to end the air. Water and Fire were common, but Earth wasn't unheard of; there was her Tio Bruno and her sister Luisa. (Though something told her her littlest primo, Antonio would also be able to earth bend come his fifth birthday).

"Ok," Mirabel said taking a deep breath. "Two thousand-ish times the charm. Right, Casita?" Miravel asked and the gave a positive reaction, encouraging the girl. Casita was a big supporter. Of course, her family was also there, but they didn't exactly know she did this. Dolores did but...she didn't tell anyone.

Mirabel raised her hand. She copied a move she had seen Isabela and her mama do a million times. The water was still. No result. Moving onto the rocks, her arms shot forward as she stomped her feet. Still, no result. The fire reflected off her glasses as her hands moved gracefully about her. The fire didn't even flicker. Mirabel pursed her lips as she looked at the marbles.

She didn't know any airbending moves. No one did. Her abuela had shown one off, one that Pedro had taught her. Of course, no one was able to use it, but it was pretty cool to watch and fun to do. Mirabel took in one last deep breath as she raised her hands. Her movements were fluid, natural even as she moved. As were all of her movements, she practiced all the elements of basic moves at least a million times, and she loved dancing. Bending was a lot like dancing, at least to her. Her hand was closed as she stopped in front of the marbles.

And they moved.

Her eyes widened as she stared at them. They. Moved. She looked at Casita's beams. They were still before something similar to a shrug revealed that Casuta wasn't even sure. Mirabel's arms shook as she once again performed the move. The moved again. They lifted off the table.

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh!" Mirabel felt a smile spread across her face as she picked the marbles up. She used her free hand to gently spin a circle around them. The air around them shifted, and they lifted out of her palm and into the air. "Oh my go-" Casita bumped into her feet cutting off. She silenced herself. It was late, that's right. Everyone was asleep, and she didn't want to wake anyone up, especially not little Antonio.

But she could bend! Finally, finally, after all these years. She was right, she was just a late bloomer!

"I have to practice," Mirabel whispered before grabbing the marbles and rushing up to her room. She giggled softly as she sat on her bed. She decided not to tell her family yet. She would wait until the next morning. In the meantime, she was going to practice and practice. Even if it took all night.

Mirabel spun the marbles around and around. It was just so...well she couldn't even describe it. But she was happy. More than happy. She couldn't describe it.

And she couldn't wait to tell her family in the morning.