(Spiderverse AU): Bruno Knows

Bruno walked quietly through the all, foodstuff in his ruana. He had decided to leave the rats in the walls, not wanting to make too much noise. Usually, he would've gone back by now, but he wanted to go check on Mirabel and Antonio...just to be safe. It had been a while since he'd seen them.

As he got closer to the nursery, he heard murmuring. Talking even. But it was so quiet, he could barely hear. He got closer, putting his ear against the door, his hood covering his face. There was giggling. It was Mirabel and Antonio. But...there was a third person. Was...was that Camilo? That was strange. Usually, Camilo came out of his room to go get seconds. Otherwise, he would be knocked out in his bed.

Bruno could hear faint whispers. Something about gifts. He shuddered. He felt bad and didn't like talking about gifts. But, he also heard Mirabel's name. Then walking. More walking...

Wait a minute. The nursery was only so big, and there were things sprawled about the room. So why was the walking continuing? It obviously wasn't staying in place so what...

"Woah!" Bruno cried out, falling forward. The door had swung open, likely by Casita. Why was he so sure? Well for one, Antonio was in his crib and was too short to reach the knob. Camilo was standing away from the door, his arms stretched towards the ceiling. And Mirabel? She was on the ceiling.

Like actually on it

Upside down.

Bruno stared. He stuttered, scrambling to stand up as he saw Mirabel on the ceiling. It was a three-way staring contest between Bruno, Camilo, and Mirabel. Little Antonio was giggling, clapping his small, chubby hands as he watched the scene innocently.

"Tío...Bruno?" Mirabel asked and Bruno's eyes widened. He just realized: he had been caught. He was seen, by two people who definitely knew who he was. Antonio had seen him, but the toddler didn't recognize him. But Mirabel and Camilo? They most certainly did.

Immediately, Bruno took off. He heard soft shouting, urging him to wait. He ran, and as he turned to look behind him, Camilo was there, gaining on him. And he looked up slightly, seeing Mirabel running, or rather stumbling on the ceiling. Bruno yelped, tripping once he turned the corner. He couldn't even open the painting when Csmilo grabbed his ruana, yanking him back. Mirabel had now jumped down from the ceiling, holding onto Bruno.

"Tio, wait!" Camilo exclaimed, albeit much quieter. "We can explain!"

Bruno struggled for a moment, trying to get away. "Please, just listen!" Mirabel said, yanking him back with surprising strength.

"J-Just let me go, I...I...er..." Bruno's mind blanked, but he stopped when Camilo finally grabbed his shoulder.

"Just hear us out! We won't tell anyone about you, but you have to promise you won't tell anyone about Mirabel. Please," Camilo asked and Bruno stared at him. He stumbled on his words before sighing heavily.

"Y-You? Have a gift? Since when?" Bruno asked and Mirabel sighed.

"I don't know if it's a gift but..it is something. We just haven't told anyone. Only Dolores, and, well, you, know."

"But why won't you tell your Abuela?" Bruno asked, finally standing up and the kids exchanged glances.

"We just don't think that's the best idea right now," Camilo explained softly.

Bruno sighed again, his shoulder slumping in defeat. He could understand that. He knew how his mamá was, and while Mirabel's "gift" was amazing, frankly, Alma was a wild card. He didn't even know how she'd react.

"I guess I can understand that," Bruno shrugged.

"Please Tio," Mirabel begged. "You can't tell anyone."

Bruno shook his head, putting his hands up. "I won't. Just...don't tell anyone about me. Deal?"

"Deal," Camilo and Mirabel said in unison.

Looks like Bruno's joined in on their little secret.