(LMYLV; BATB AU): Sacrifice

"LMYLV" is the title of the story. "La Mariposa y La Vela".

-----

Alma watched with wide eyes as Mirabel's feet were planted in place on the floor. The matriarch rushed over, clutching her youngest granddaughter's hand and shaking her head. Alma herself could see the wax melting away from her skin and clothes, returning to normal.

"Mirabel? M-Mirabel...what are you doing?" Alma asked in a shaky voice, meeting Mirabel's eyes. The girl smiled, squeezing Alma's hands.

"Saving the family," Mirabel said softly. She could see the other family members behind Alma, looking at her in disbelief as their curse began to lift and their bodies returned to normal.

"Wha...the curse...it's gone?" Isabela said, touching her hair, which was now back to its black color and no longer tangled with vines and thorns. She looked over and saw Miravel's body slowly turning to wax and she could feel the air in her body and the room leave.

"Mirabel, Mirabel you can't do this," Alma choked out, shuddering at the touch of Mirabel's stiffening fingers. "You can't! It's not worth it!"

"I have to, Abuela," Mirabel smiled sadly, looking towards the rest of the family. "I said I'd save all of you. And if this is what it takes, then I'll do it a thousand more times."

"Mirabel, please you can't," Julieta sobbed, barely able to stand as she tried to walk towards Mirabel. The last of the stitches on her body disappeared and her limbs remained attached as the thread fell away.

"I'm sorry. I know you never wanted this but I have to," Mirabel wasn't able to move anything below her legs now. It was just pure wax.

"You can't...you can't do this," Julieta sobbed and Agustín held her back, but he was more than tempted to go to Mirabel as well.

"I'm sorry mamá. I am," Mirabel said, and the wax was up to her neck now. Mirabel's gaze turned towards the rest of the family. "I love all of you."

"No, no, no!" Alma sobbed. Mirabel gave one last smile, her eyes closing, but not opening again. The wax had taken over the rest of her body. Alma's hands were shaking, and she could barely hold herself up as she shakily touched Mirabel's face. The smooth wax had covered her beloved granddaughter.

Alma sunk to the floor, unable to contain her sadness any longer. She wept, wept at the now still body of her younger granddaughter. She could hear the other family members breaking down at the sight of Mirabel. Pepa's cloud was drenching them. But Alma didn't care. That was the least of her worries right now. Her sorrow was directed elsewhere.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry," Alma whispered between tears. Alma, nor any of the family, noticed the candle beginning to grow brighter. Nor did they see the magic seeping from Mirabel or the melting wax.