(Protective): Not her fault.

Alma didn't know what to do when it happened. Everything had been going so well. It was perfect. Mirabel was having fun, everyone was excited for her new gift. And with Camilo's being such a success, Alma expected Mirabel's to follow. Alma didn't really have an idea of what gift she would get like she did for the others, but she did know that whatever it was, it would be perfect. And her room would fit the spunky little one as well.

But that didn't happen.

Alma retraced the scene. Mirabel had walked up to the door, a tad nervous. She promised to help the community and touched the candle. Then she went up to the door, and raised her hand to the door. That's where it went wrong-Mirabel had touched the door knob, and the door vanished. Like it was never there.

And then she started to tear up. She tried to play it off like she was fine and ran off to the nursery. Alma had sent Julieta and Agustin to check on her while the others got everyone out. Alma put the candle back, upset. Something went wrong.

She went to the nursery after the cool couple had left. Her granddaughter was laying on the bed, still crying. Once Mirabel had seen her she had buried herself in her abuela's dress, sobbing. Something went wrong and it made Mirabel cry. The door disappeared. Mirabel didn't have a gift or a room of her own. No safe space.

That made Alma...angry. She didn't know why. But what she did know was one thing: It wasn't Mirabel's fault. It couldn't have been. She didn't know why Mirabel didn't get a gift, but she wouldn't let that serve as an excuse to try and hurt her family. That candle it...it used to be something Alma took pride in but now? She wasn't so sure.

Her sweet, perfect little Mirabel. The most helpful and kindest Madrigal. Denied something she deserved and earned. Denied the one thing she had wished for for her birthday. And Alma didn't like that.

"It's...it's not your fault," Alma whispered to the girl as she fell asleep. "It's not your fault."

Not at all. It wasn't her fault at all it was...it was the candle's fault. Alma knew it had to be. Mirabel was just too sweet and kind, and would never do anything ill towards the family, Casita or the candle. Just like the other grandkids, she was helpful. She heard those villagers earlier saying that the candle must have flickered because of Mirabel. But Alma knew that wasn't true, it couldn't be true.

Her little miracle. Alma was looking forward to seeing Mirabel's room too. The rooms were safe spaces for her family. They helped keep them down to earth, and helped Alma. The rooms, their gifts, they were meant to protect. They were meant to keep any family suffering the same fate Pedro did. And Mirabel didn't have that protection. And that was not OK with Alma.

The poor girl was already weak bodied. She was born a little early, and was prone to getting sick. She was smaller than other kids her ages, even Camilo. Camilo always made sure to keep Mirabel close, also made sure to protect her. Mirabel was too small. Too sickly. And Alma was hoping that whatever gift and room she got would serve as a way to keep her safe and healthy. Clearly that didn't happen.

And that just wouldn't do. Alma needed to confront the problem at the source.

-

Alma laid Mirabel down, kissing her forehead. The girl had cried for over an hour with her parents, and then another 30 minutes with her Abuela. The poor girl was devastated. And Alma knew why. She just didn't understand. What did Mirabel do to deserve this?

The woman practically stomped to her room, huffing as she eyed the candle. As soon as she was in the candle room she was met with a scared looking Bruno.

"Bruno?" Alma looked down in his hands and saw a vision. She had forgotten she had asked for one earlier..."Is that it?"

Bruno nodded nervously, peeking down at it. He looked scared. Really scared. Alma walked over, gently taking it from his hands. Peering down at it, her eyes widened. It was an older Mirabel, standing in front of a cracked Casita.

"W-Wait," Bruno tilted it slightly and it changed. Now Casita was completely fine. Alma's face hardened. "Before you say anything-it's not her fault! I-I must have done something wrong."

Alma's eyes snapped up at Bruno and she looked offended. Why would he say that? It's not his fault, she knew that. She didn't believe it was Mirabel's fault either. Looking at the candle, she pulled a distasteful face, before looking back at the vision.

"No. This...this can't be right. Not Mirabel, she wouldn't. She cares too much," Alma said, mumbling near the end. "She..."

Alma paused for a long moment, staring at the vision. Looking back at Bruno, she saw his still scared expression. "Mamá?"

"I'll...I'll take care of this. I'll fix it," Alma said, putting the vision down face down. Bruno tried to read his mothers face, but she had an unreadable emotion. "You go to bed. We can figure this out tomorrow. It's been a long night,"

Bruno nodded slowly, scratching his head as he walked out the room. He honestly expected her to overreact and start freaking out-but for some reason, she was unusually...calm. Usually if the miracle was in any sort of danger she'd flip, but this time was different. He didn't think it was a bad thing, she didn't seem to blame Mirabel. He'd wait until tomorrow, and if things went wrong then...well he'd cross that line when he got there.

With Bruno in his room, Alma now knew she was alone. Looking at the candle, her face twisted to one of anger. She shoved the vision into a drawer that was on a side table in the room, slamming it angrily. She stomped over to the candle, looking down at it, eyes angry. The flame flickered, like it had when Mirabel's ceremony failed. But it flickered differently this time, Alma noticed.

It seemed to flicker in fear.