(Giant Siren AU): I'm Hungry

Antonio yawned as he stretched in his makeshift bed, the fins on his ears perking up as he did. Sitting up, he rubbed his eyes, looking down from his perch. He saw his family, all of them still sleeping, their massive bodies stirring slightly as the sun rose and filled the cave they resided in.

The boy carefully climbed down, using the rocks as a ladder to get down. He dropped down and landed in his mamá's long, curly red hair, which had cushioned his fall. After untangling himself, he moved over to her, climbing into the palm of her hand and looking at her serene face for a moment as she slept.

He wondered when he would get to be that big. Sure, he could sing like them, but he couldn't join them when they went out to see. He had been used as sailor bait a couple of times, but after the pirate incident, he always had to wait underwater. But he always had fun with his family. They made sure he was safe, and he knew they only had his vest interest in mind.

Antonio plopped down in his mother's hand, her finger being taller than him even. "Mamá," he said, but she didn't stir. "Maaaamá," he said again, louder this time. He felt her hand instinctively grasp his small body. He wasn't being crushed or trapped, though. Her grip was rather gentle as she brought him close to her chest, and he could hear her steady heartbeat.

"What is it mijo?" Pepa asked, her voice thick with sleep. Antonio popped his head up, his small hand running across the scales on her hand.

"I'm hungry. Can we go eat?" Antonio asked, and Pepa set Antonio down.

"Go ask your tía Julieta," Pepa said, turning to the other side, facing her husband who was still asleep. Antonio pouted for a moment but made his way over to his tía Julieta, who was sleeping next to her husband.

The small siren guppy went up to her, patting her cheek. "Tía," he whispered and Julieta stirred, looking down at Antonio. She had a gentle smile as her large hand patted his hand.

"You're up early," she said and Antonio nodded.

"I'm hungry, can we go eat?" Antonio asked, pointing to the sea that was outside the cave. Julieta nodded, sitting up to her full height, her tail unfurling.

"Why don't you go wake up your prima and you two get the rest of the family up, and we can go, ok?" Julieta said, and Antonio nodded, beaming as he rushed towards Mirabel, finally happy that he could get some food soon.