026.

SCARLETT was helping the new students warm up. She had them do drills while Kim and Hyan-woo watched assessing her leadership abilities. Scarlett wasn't too sure why but dismissed it. 

Finally, when they were ready, Kim made them sit in a circle around the mat. In the centre was a small table. She paced in front of them with a teaching stick in her hands, "Back in Korea, our students would climb Chiri-san, the tallest mountain on the mainland, with heavy packs filled with nothing but water. We would train at the peak long after the sun has set and the nights turned cold. I would train among them wearing two heavy packs. My students are determined. I will see how determined you are," she pointed her stick at Scarlett and Devon who were sitting next to each other, "You two. Up."

They walked toward the table as Hyan-woo took another stick. He spoke to Devon, "Pick this up." Then to Scarlett, "Stop her. Use any means necessary. You have one minute. Begin."

Devon attacked but Scarlett was quicker. She blocked and Devon turned with a kick causing her to step back. Devon picked up the stick joyously, "In your face!"

Kim stepped forward and took the stick from her, "The Way of the Fist means you do not hold back. You do not go easy. Or is this what it means in America to be a champion? Again!" she ordered as she roughly placed the stick back on the table. 

Scarlett readied her firsts. Devon made a fake move to her face but Scarlett understood her intentions. She grabbed the hands that were reaching for the stick and parted them, kicking the girl harshly in the midsection. 

"Harder," Kim ordered. 

Devon kicked at her and Scarlett dodged. She feigned a punch and made another grab, but Scarlett stood on her hand, preventing her from lifting it. Devon looked up at her and Scarlett kicked her in the face. 

"I said harder!" Kim whipped her with her own stick and Scarlett yelped in pain. 

Devon bent to gt the stick and once more Scarlett grabbed her hands. She blocked the incoming punches as Kim paced, "We do not accept defeat. We do not accept surrender. You fight as if today is your last."

As Scarlett shoved Devon back, she jumped and kicked. The girl stepped back to avoid getting hit. Scarlett moved as Devon performed a flying kick intended for her. Devon picked up the stick but Scarlett kicked it out of her hand, before kicking her to the mat. She made another move to hit her, but realised she was already down. 

"Good," Kim hummed, "Strength, determination. That is the Way of the Fist. Nothing else. Remember that. Class dismissed."

When Scarlett returned from Topanga, she found Tory and the rest of the group waiting for her. They questioned her on the potential of the new group and she merely shrugged and said they were okay. The next day, Kyler walked over to the group, talking about the snake bite snacks that were at the snack bar and how he couldn't stop eating them. 

"They're pure protein. You're only supposed to eat one or two," Kenny stated. 

 "For real?" Kyler whispered. 

"Idiot," Scarlett shook her head, "You're dating an idiot."

Tory laughed before her face dropped. She tapped Scarlett on the arm and the girl turned. She watched as Devon entered the dojo. The girl glared at her as she walked past. 

Scarlett walked toward her, "What are you doing here? I thought you quit."

Devon scoffed, "You beat me on the mat, but I only lose if I give up."

Scarlett felt a presence behind her and turned to find Silver standing there, "Miss Lee, why don't you go check in with the receptionist? She'll set you up with a pass in case you want to train after hours."

Devon smiled condescendingly at her, "Oh. I definitely will."

She walked off and Scarlett rolled her eyes as she turned toward Silver and Kim. The man spoke, "I have to hand it to you. Miss Lee reached out after class yesterday and asked if she could join the flagship dojo. Apparently, she wants to learn more from you. I'm very proud of you Scarlett."

"But she failed the test. She ran away," Scarlett glanced at Kim.

"The test was not for her. It was for you. I wanted to see how much strength you had in your heart to accomplish what you need to do."

"And what's that?"

Silver responded, "Something greater than you could ever imagine."