10

"How can you stand him? What if he tries to take over France?"

"Well, if it is what the people want, it can't be helped."

"What about what you want? You are the one that will have to deal with him."

"So will everyone in France...why so passionate about this? I thought you did not care for my politics," I spoke. I turned around to look at him. I had finished getting dressed, and he was talking to me in my room. He sat on my bed, watching me and ranting about Napoleon. "Are you okay? Has he upset you that much? What's happened?" I asked.

He took a deep breath in and shrugged. "Well, he claims to be hospitable, but...as you know...I'm Protestant, and well, your country hasn't been too fond of them in recent centuries..." he spoke. Oh...he was right...terribly right.

England was the biggest Protestant power in Europe and was looked down upon by Catholics. How could I forget...

It doesn't bother me that he is Protestant; he is the same England I have known for centuries, even if he constantly changes his religion. "Well, I promise I won't let you feel as if you aren't welcome," I started. I walked over toward him, and he sat straight as he watched me. I placed my hand on his shoulder, shaking him gently.

"I have been locked away for a long time, and we have much catching up to do. I doubt any of them would have a chance to treat you badly when I have you all to myself," I laughed. He looked at me, shocked, and moved away. "Ugh, you make it seem like we will get along. I will tell you everything, but I will have to fight you another way afterward!" He spoke.

I sat beside him and leaned against him. "Oh really? And how will you do that?" I asked. It was true that we could not really punch each other now, but we would find ways to continue our rivalry. "With cards, duh! You are an idiot if you think anything scandalous will happen between us!"

"Huh?! How dare you think that of me! I hope you know I was thinking no such thing, and for you to bring something like that up confirms that you were!" I teased. Arthur rolled his eyes at me and began to push me away. However, I kept coming back toward him. "Why must you push me away? I thought you wanted to talk!"

"Yes! Away from you! You are invading MY personal space!"

"You mean OUR personal space?"

"Shut up! You smell like cheese and wine already! How is that possible?!"

"I had a snack!"

I pulled him into an embrace and held him tightly. "Honestly, I do one nice thing for you, and you go feral! Don't make me regret being nice to you! You are lucky I am even being nice! After all the shit you have pulled!" He spoke angrily.

"Thank you..."

"Huh?" He asked, shocked. Arthur tried to get away from me, but I continued to hold him. I could hear his heart beating again, which was music to my ears. "Fo...Fo...Fo...For what?" He stuttered. He was starting to become flustered. "Coming to get me...I know that no matter how many years go by and how much we fight, you will always be there to save me," I spoke.

He tensed up under my touch, and I looked at him. His face was extremely red, and he tried to hide it by looking away. "Yeah, well, don't get used to it. You still piss me off in more ways than one!" He spoke. His voice was soft and sweet, and I wished to listen to him forever. "You need to give me a chance to save you one day," I laughed.

"Enemies don't save each other!"

"No, but friends do...and that's what I'd like to be again...however, I feel with my state, that might be difficult!"

"More like rivals...I have an odd love-hate relationship toward you that I feel I won't figure out for a long time."

"Why is that?"

"Because of the American revolution!" He snapped. Arthur elbowed me away, and I nearly saw heaven feeling the pain it caused. "Because of you, I lost contact with Alfred! I only speak to Matthew now! Because of you! I am downgraded to someone Alfred only trades with! Unbelievable! Do you realize how much it affected me? I get angry thinking about it! I won't let this go ever! So you can forget that!" He complained. Although he sounded a bit annoyed by what happened, I could tell that deep down; it affected him more than he wanted me to know.

"Also! Don't think that because of this treaty, I will—"

"I know..."

"What? You know?" He asked. He was shocked at how fast I responded to his words. "Yes! I screwed up and took his side without understanding why you did it...I understand...and I won't force you to like me...I won't force you to do anything. I only want to build our relationship again. I know you aren't everyone's favorite in Europe, and you may be the black sheep and annoying, and—"

"Okay, I get it!"

"But so am I! And because of it! We have to stick together! We must understand that everything we do is because of our leaders, and we shouldn't take it personally any longer. I haven't agreed with my leaders for the longest time, and I want you to know that because of it, it does not affect how I view you. I understand now! Our countries may fight, but we shouldn't have to as well!" I spoke.

He breathed out in a relieved tone and nodded. "I figured you would say that. You were always so emotional...but I agree... I will try not to take everything so personally!" He spoke. I nodded at him, grabbing his hand. "Me either!" I cheered. We both began laughing as we shook hands.

Why do I feel like our rivalry will only become stronger because of this?

"Besides, your people make the most interesting political cartoons!" He laughed. He began to reach into his pocket, taking out a paper. He smiled while handing it to me, and I wasted no time taking it.

When I unfolded the paper, I was surprised to see the cartoon. "Is this supposed to be us or something?" I laughed.

"Yes, they did their best," he laughed. He leaned over my shoulder to look at the cartoon, and it actually made me happy.

"The first kiss this ten years!"

I read out loud and felt myself smiling. "I suppose it won't be official unless it is actually done," I laughed. He rolled his eyes at me, shaking his head. "Yeah, as if!" He spoke. He snatched the paper away from me, and I moved closer. "How about a rivalry kiss on the cheek?" I asked.

Arthur stood up laughing, shaking his head at me. "You wish! Now! I must go for now, but I hope to be in your presence later this evening?" He turned to smile at me.

"I couldn't think of anything better!" I smiled. Arthur nodded at me in happiness, leaving my room.