Chapter 9

"WELCOME HOME. You look so tired. You must be starving," I said to Olivia, who appeared in the kitchen next to the door. Her head and shoulders are bowed. She appears to have used up all of her energy today. "Sit down," I told her. She wouldn't budge, so I approached her and drew her to the nearest chair at the kitchen counter. "Eat first, then rest," I said, about to leave because I was going to prepare her food, but she drew me closer and hugged me from behind. I can feel her head resting on my back.

There's that tingly sensation all over again. Ha! I like what Olivia is doing, but I'm also feeling guilty.

"I'm so tired, Zola," she's the only one who addresses me as such.

She said it was a combination of my first and last names. Olivia desired to stand out from the crowd. Zoey + Ella = Zola. I like it as well.

"That's why you have to eat quickly first, and then you can rest," I explained, refusing to let go of her embrace.

I thought to myself, Zoey, this doesn't seem right.

"I still need to update my campaign page, and I need to do it today because I'm sure I won't have time tomorrow as the election approaches." She also sounds tired.

"Poor, Vi. I'll do it. Just eat and then sleep," I said, and she let go of my hand.

Why am I disappointed that she slipped out of our embrace?

"Really? Thank you, Zola. You have no idea how much this lightens my load for this election; if I had known it was going to be this stressful, I would not have agreed to run for president." She now grips her hair with both hands. She appears to be frustrated, but I find her expression endearing.

I couldn't stop myself from pinching her cheeks because she was so cute.

"Aw, Zola, here you are again, playing with my cheeks," she sighed, her brow furrowed and her mouth agape.

What she did was ineffective. When she's pouting like that, I think she's a lot cuter. Argh.

"Your cheeks are adorable and fluffy; they look like dumplings; I want to bite them," I said without thinking. It was too late when I realized it, and Olivia was staring at me strangely.

Damn you, mouth. Why is it so cheesy?

"I-i will prepare the food before it gets cold," was my justification.

My heart was pounding, and I just hoped Olivia didn't hear it because it was too loud, and I was afraid it would come out of my mouth at any moment. Damn.

I quickly prepared her food and changed the subject by asking her what updates she required from her page. She immediately gave me the instructions and photos to upload to her campaign page.

Yes, it was almost election day for the high school president, which is why Olivia has been busier these days. Dad and mom are still very busy, but they always check in on us if they have time or have arrived somewhere. They didn't forget to keep us updated on their travel plans and inquire about our whereabouts.

So, even if they're away, they're still up to date on what's going on with Olivia and me. Except for what is happening to Olivia and me at school. That's the ultimate secret, so we'll keep it hidden from them until we can keep it.

And when I asked Olivia about Aubrey Park, she denied knowing her. Olivia was deceiving me. Although she lied, I did not press further because I knew Olivia. If she's ready to spill the beans, she'll tell me when she's ready.

After Olivia had finished her meal, I washed the dishes. She went to her room, and I assumed she was sleeping. But she came into my room while I was updating her campaign page.