Chapter 25

ZOEY

"KIDS? Why are you not eating?" Mom inquired of us.

We arrived at our favorite restaurant for lunch. We're celebrating my victory in the quiz bee competition.

"Girls? Is there a problem?" My father, too, inquired.

Olivia's unease is palpable. Because I was startled, I was unable to respond immediately. Especially when Olivia and my arms touch. I felt like I was being electrocuted, so I had to pull my arm away from her.

"I-i was eating," I said, awkwardly smiling. Because it was falling, I touched the middle of my eyeglasses. Why am I so worried?

Because I was looking away, I didn't notice our parents' skepticism. Olivia, too, was quiet.

"Okay. Stop with the awkward silence, "Mom said as she dropped her utensils. She looked at both of us. Olivia and I were looking in opposite directions. "Look at me, you two," Mom demanded.

We have no choice but to look at her. I don't want Mom to be upset with me. Olivia, I'm sure, doesn't want Mom to be upset as well.

"What is the matter with you two? Did you get into a fight? "She inquired of us. She was switching her gaze between the two of us. My father was doing the same.

"No, Mom. We are fine. Right, Zoey?" Olivia said, smiling at me. She even rested her arm on my shoulder. When I feel her touch, I get this electrifying feeling all over again. Olivia! "W-we are. Yes, Mom... and Dad... Don't be concerned. We just ate a lot last night, that's why," I reasoned.

They didn't appear to be convinced, but they didn't say anything. Olivia and I pretended as much as we could and tried not to be awkward with each other.

When they agreed to go home after lunch, I was overjoyed. I informed our parents that I was not feeling well. I don't want Olivia to catch up with me or everyone because I'm not in the best of moods right now, so I asked that we go home for the time being and reschedule our family activities for tomorrow.

During the car ride home, Olivia and I tried to answer as many of Dad and Mom's questions as we could. It was all about school and what had happened to us over the last few weeks; they were not at home.

We told them everything except Olivia's and my current school situation. And, of course, we didn't tell them what happened the night before. I'm not sure what I'm feeling exactly, but I can't deny that I enjoy the kiss. It was all so sudden, and our parents almost caught us.

Yes! They were almost on us!

We didn't expect them to come home last night. Our parents had said they would leave early in the morning, so we were taken aback when we heard the front door open.

On the other hand, Olivia was quick, and she stood up right away. I was still on the floor because I was in such shock, but Olivia managed to help me get up.

When Dad and Mom appeared, I noticed my face was flushed and red. Olivia pretended nothing had happened, but she was utterly silent after that, even when we were eating the cake that Mom had brought.

We went to our separate rooms after finishing the cake and had a brief conversation. I debated confronting Olivia about what had happened, but I was scared. I was afraid she'd say it was a mistake, and she was just caught up in the moment. Even though I expected her to say that my heart was still not prepared to hear those words of rejection.

I understand that she initiated the kiss, but I kissed her back! Yeah! It got to that point. We were savoring each other's lips when my parents came home, and you know what happened next.