Special Chapter: Nova

"YOU ARE GOING TO STUDY IN SEOUL AFTER GRADE SCHOOL," Dad said. We're having dinner quietly right now, and then he comes in with this kind of news.

"Dad? Seriously?" With a sour tone, I said. I stopped cutting the steak on my plate.

"I'm serious, Con. You are not taking your studies seriously. You keep slacking. You should be with your grandparents. Maybe they can tame you there "He added without looking at me. He kept eating casually.

He had no idea his words were piercing my veins. It's as if someone is slowly and painfully cutting me.

"Please, Dad... Mom. I will put in a lot of effort. I'm going to study very hard. I promise, "I begged them.

I looked at Mom, pleading for help. Mom shook her head at me. She always says yes, regardless of Dad's decision.

"Piper..." I said as I looked at my sister. I'm trying hard not to cry. How could they do this to me?

"Dad, maybe we can give—-" 

"Stop it, Piper. We have given your sister numerous chances, but she is still uninterested in her studies. She continues to cause problems. Her friends, Zoey and Camila, are both knowledgeable. Even if you already have good grades, you, her sister, are putting in more effort in your studies. My decision is final, and I have already spoken with your grandparents. I've also booked her flight, and she'll be departing soon," he stated.

From what I've heard, I don't stand a chance of overturning my father's decision.

"Excuse me," I said as I walked out of the dining room.

I heard my sister call my name, but I also heard that our father had scolded and told us to finish our meal.

I was dissatisfied with Dad's decision, but I knew I had no choice but to obey. It was all my fault in the end. He was right. I've been causing many problems for my family, and I'm not doing well in school. When I walked out, I had no ill will toward my father. I need some alone time.

I went to my room and opened my iPad. I immediately called my best friends Zoey and Camila. I check in on them and talk nonsense. I didn't tell them I was leaving in a few days. I believe they should be aware of it before my departure.

Piper came to my room after an hour to check on me. She keeps apologizing for not persuading Dad not to send me to Seoul. I assured Piper that everything was fine. That I'll be back before she knows it.

I spent the rest of my days in Clover with my friends. I spent a lot of time with them, and they had no idea I was leaving.

When the time came for me to leave and I was at the airport, Zoey and Camila called, and they were crying because I had not told them I was going to study in Seoul. I believe that was the first time I cried since hearing the news from my father. I became very emotional at the airport, and my family sympathized with me, but I was still sent to Seoul.

I promised my two friends that I would study hard there and return soon. They must ensure that they always have each other's backs, no matter what happens.

As a result, I studied in Seoul and lived with my grandparents. I studied diligently, and even though I knew a little Korean, I continued to learn the language. I made it a point not to disappoint my family's expectations of me so that they could allow me to return to Clover City as soon as possible.

My family and friends are in constant contact with me. However, when I found out that Zoey's mother had died, I felt compelled to return because I knew how devastated she was by what had occurred. But since Camila was present, that was only my consolation.