Chapter 29

OLIVIA

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" I asked Zoey, who was still lying in the hospital bed.

The bill was paid, but we are still waiting for the doctor's final opinion on Zoey's results and medication.

"You heard me, Vi," she said firmly.

"No! I'm afraid I must disagree. I'm not going down without a fight!" I was enraged by Zoey's calm demeanor in this situation. "Please, Uncle Zal, take action against those who abused Zoey. Don't let the police back down on the investigation."

I was furious. I'm furious at those who have harmed Zoey. How dare they!

Uncle Zaldy was deafeningly silent. He just gave me that sorry look. I looked to my mother for support, but she just shook her head as if to tell me to back down.

The other three girls were looking at us quietly as well.

"Vi, I'm fine. There's no reason for them to be reported. I'm sure they had a good reason for doing what they did. Instead, let Karma teach them a lesson. The most important thing is that I am still alive and doing well." Zoey smiled.

How could she even forgive those who had almost killed her? How could she get over the fact that those people almost took her away from us? I balled my fist, and I could see my knuckles turning pale. I am furious right now.

"No," I stated emphatically. "I will see to it that the—-"

"Vi, stop it," my mother said. "Let us respect Zoey's wishes if that is what she desired. "I can't believe what I'm hearing from them. Why are these people like this? How can they just let this go?

"Your mother is correct, Vi," Uncle Zaldy said. "I don't completely agree with Zoey's decision, but I'm sure she has a good reason. I trust Zoey's judgment, and I also trust that all of you, her friends, will protect her and vice versa."

With those words, I felt as if someone had thrust a knife into my heart. Uncle Zaldy was right. Anger and resentment will not serve you well. I was reminded once more that I am slightly like that. I was saved when I joined this family. Their kindness and forgiving heart-shaped me into a good person.

"Don't be concerned anymore, Vi. Okay?" Zoey said, reaching for my hand.

Just by looking at her warm eyes, my rage subsided. Zoey is the only person who can soothe my raging emotions. I'm glad I met her. That is why I promise to protect her no matter what happens.

In response, I nodded. Like Uncle Zaldy, I will respect Zoey's decision, and, from now on, I will trust her judgment.

~*~

A WEEK has flown by, and Zoey is back in school. Everyone was worried about her, and many students and teachers came to check on her.

When Zoey returned to school, she commanded everyone's attention, and she did so in the cutest way possible. She was timid when surrounded by so many people.

As for me, I didn't care if anyone knew about our genuine relationship. All I wanted was to be with Zoey all the time, whether at school or our house. I protected her because you never know when those vile souls will strike again.

Except for Stella, who had distanced herself from us, the six of us were hanging out as if we were all close friends. She now has her minions. She is always staring at us, constantly starting a fight.

I tried several times to talk to her, Naomi, and Camila, but Stella is stubborn and refuses to accept that we are friends with Zoey's circle.

Stella was my primary suspect in Zoey's death. But I didn't have any proof, and Zoey asked me to let it go, so I did. Now, I'm giving Stella the benefit of the doubt, and I still wanted to be friends with her even though she's more bitchy than Camila at times.