Chapter 10

ELECTION DAY.

"Interesting. Miss Queen Bee appears to be winning this election as well," Nova said as she handed me a box of cold pineapple juice.

"Thank you," I said. I drank the box through the straw. "Ah, pineapple juice is delicious!" I exclaimed.

"I know, that's why we're friends; we both like pineapple juice," Nova agreed. We clapped our pineapple juice boxes as if they were wine glasses.

We are currently in the gym, counting and validating the ballots from today's election of new sets of SC. We were far away from the gym stage where the teachers were counting votes, but there was a large LED screen that displayed the automatic updates of the votes.

I am overjoyed to see Olivia advancing in the polls. She's truly unique. Students at Clover High adore her. It was unfortunate for the other candidates because their votes did not even match Olivia's.

There were two full slates of candidates for SC and one independent candidate for president.

Luke Benjamin, a fellow junior and classmate, was one of Olivia's rivals for the presidency. He was the only one who had a complete lineup. He's always in the top two between my and Olivia's academic rankings.

The other candidate is William Randol, also known as Will. Captain of the famous basketball team. He's a senior now. He decided to run at the last minute. He was only popular with girls because he was attractive, tall, and a good basketball player. But, in general, that is all he has to offer. I despise the guy.

Regardless of their fame, their votes were insignificant compared to Olivia's. My stepsister will not be addressed as the queen bee of the school if she is not the true queen of the school. I'm overjoyed for her.

I was not even concerned about the outcome, and I am confident Olivia will win. Actually, I was just here to do nothing. Nah, but the truth is that I was waiting for the result, so I'll be the first to send it to our parents. Not with Olivia because I know her team will do it for her. And it's best not to call or text her if we're at school because she's always with the bullies. Those girls have no concept of personal space or privacy. So I'll just congratulate Olivia at home later.

"What are you thinking?" I overheard Nova inquire.

"Nothing, let's get some pineapple juice before we go home," I just said.

"You're smiling, but you're still a creep and weirdo."

"All right, back to you."

"Do the same feathers flock together?"

"Yeah."

I stick my tongue. Nova did the same. We're still as childish as ever. Then we laugh. Because we're on the upper corner level of the gym seats, no one will be able to hear us. I returned my attention to the screen. Olivia won, as expected, after the counting and validation.

"I'm glad you're back," I said to Nova as I stood up. I took a quick screenshot of the screen. I immediately sent it to our family group chat.

"You should; you're a mess without me," she said.

"Pft. Conceited much?" I sat back beside her and finished my pineapple juice. "But seriously, thank you for coming back," I said somberly.

"Hey, don't thank me. I should not have left you, and I'm sorry I wasn't there when you needed me the most," Nova said solemnly.

"Aish, that's fine. What matters is that you're back, safe and sound," I said as I stood up. I extend my other hand to her.

"I'm glad to be back," she said, taking my hand in hers. We exited the gym after she stood up.