Chapter 32

ZOEY

STARING at my reflection in the whole body mirror, I sighed with satisfaction at what I was seeing.

I was wearing a black casual dress, above the knee, with no sleeves, and slightly showing the top of her chest. My shoulder-length black hair formed in beach-wavy curls. My make-up was nicely done by my beautiful partner. I paired the dress I was wearing with my 2 inches heels, pearls, and crystal black bow kitten. It was a new gift from my stepmother. This is actually the second time I will wear this kind of clothes. The first time was when my father remarried four years ago to a wonderful woman who brought the most gorgeous person I have ever known in my life.

Anyway, it's my graduation day today, and I was really excited. Two years have quickly passed, and here we are now. I am graduating as a valedictorian despite the hardships I encountered during my high school days; it was indeed an outstanding achievement for me.

Middle school and high school were never good experiences for me until one day, I decided to stand up for myself, not in front of my bullies, but in front of the person I truly admire and love. Thinking about it now, I am happy that I got the courage to confess to her two years ago.

I will surely miss my high school life as it was the time that I began to learn things that I never imagined I could do. I could never imagine achieving things without the people who genuinely believe in me and stick with me through thick and thin.

"Hey, gorgeous. Let's go. We will be late for the baccalaureate," I heard that familiar voice, which never fails to send a tingling sensation in every fiber of my being. I looked at where Olivia was and saw her in the doorframe.

"You are so beautiful," I said and walked towards her. She welcomed me with arms wide open and gave me a quick kiss on the lips.

"You are more beautiful, love," she said.

I can't get used to her calling me with our endearment. My heart is thrilled every time she's being sweet.

"All right, love birds. You will have each other again later but for now, let's go to Clover High. Your Dad is impatiently waiting. Come on," Mom Victoria appeared and pulled us downstairs.

Olivia and I just smiled at each other. I wink at her, and she bites her lips. Grr... What a tease.

And yes, Mom Victoria knows about us. We told her about us when we went back to Clover after the burial of Olivia's Dad.

We were the ones confessing, but we were the ones who got surprised when she said she knew that we had feelings for each other, and we took so long to actually fight for it. Mom even teased me and said that I was too obvious. Plus, she said that Olivia was in denial. Mom revealed she had fun watching us figuring things out, and she was happy that we had grown up some balls to face the truth about ourselves. In short, Mom Victoria happily supported Olivia and I's relationship. It was the best feeling in the world that both of you were legally accepted by the people you respected and loved.

However, even when Olivia and I's romantic relationship is okay with both parents, we keep it low-key at school. It was a mutual decision. Actually, I was the one who insisted because I didn't want Olivia to get in trouble. Olivia agreed but was hesitant. Although sometimes she will forget and she will become clingy.

We did not tell our friends as well about us. They just knew that we were step-sisters. But I think they kind of have an idea that Olivia and I are lovers. Nova busted me, but I did not tell Olivia that Nova knew about us. I don't want her to worry and be cautious at school. Anyway, that best friend of mine is very good at keeping secrets.

Everyone was getting along as well, and everything was going smoothly. I am still friends with Nova, Aubrey, Camila, and Naomi. Sadly, Stella transferred schools after they won the cheering squad competition. I heard that Will transferred as well.

I knew that Stella and Will had something to do with the beating I had two years ago. The two guys who beat me to death were actually from the basketball team. I heard that those two dropped out when I was in the hospital. Stella texted me to go to the rooftop, and she said that if I did not go there, she would tell the whole school about Olivia and me being step-sisters. That time, I was still protecting Olivia no matter what it cost me.

When I arrived there, only the two guys from the basketball team were there, and they started beating me to death. I decided to keep my mouth shut about it and did not continue to report them because Stella was Olivia's friend and Will was the basketball team's star player. However, karma must have hit them, or they still have a conscience because they transferred schools. I am not sure.

Anyway, that was the story of the beating I got two years ago. It was excruciating, but everything happens for a reason. Because of that, Olivia discovered her feelings for me. And because of that, we are still a couple and getting stronger as the days pass by.

We arrived at Clover High on time. The baccalaureate began. I saw my friends and waved at them. They were wearing their white togas or gowns the same as ours. After the baccalaureate, the graduation ceremony commenced. Awarding happened. Dad and Mom Victoria were so proud of us because Olivia and I got a lot of awards. After that, I was called to deliver my speech as a Valedictorian. By the way, Olivia was ranked 1.

"Good morning, everyone. First of all, I would like to say that I am very honored to have been allowed to present this speech. I still can't believe it, but wow, we're finally graduating!" I was nervous, but I still managed to say these words. My fellow graduates cheered loudly because of the last sentence that I said.

I continued acknowledging and thanking everyone at school, the principal, the staff, and the parents who attended.

I just gave a brief and simple message to everyone and continued, "As students and friends, we have made many memories together, many good and some bad, most of which we can now look back upon and laugh! We went through so much. We often clashed over what some might call trivial situations. And despite the fighting, we never hesitated to have each other's backs. I consider myself lucky to have met you all and to be part of the strong bond we have created."

"My fellow graduates, I have known you for a long time, and I know that every one of you has something special. You all are creative and smart in many different ways, so please promise me that - no matter how cliché this sounds - you will never doubt yourselves."

I continued and told some jokes about our senior year experiences and discovering our true selves, then finished with, "Thank you again, and I hope you will hear good things from us soon. CONGRATULATIONS, CLASS OF 20XX!!!"

Everyone stood up and clapped. I bowed, and I was beaming while I went down the stage. I was really nervous while walking down and going back to my seat. However, a powerful force dragged me to Olivia's side, and in front of everybody, I kissed Olivia Ruby King! Olivia was surprised by what I did, but she responded to my kisses after a while.

My classmates were cheering so loud, especially Nova, Aubrey, Camila, and Naomi. I don't care anymore if I will get in trouble because of the stunt I pulled, but I just think that it was the perfect moment to let everyone know about Olivia and I's love.

We stopped kissing when I heard the principal clearing his throat on the microphone. That's when I realized that what I did was embarrassing, but I held my head up. Especially when I saw my Dad giving me a thumbs up. He is so supportive. I love him so much.

I sat down on my chair, and the Salutatorian exchanged seats with Olivia so that I could sit next to her.

"Thank you, Luke," I said to the guy, but he just embarrassingly cleared his throat. He is really a shy guy, but he was so sweet doing this for us.

"I love you, Zola," Olivia whispered.

"I love you more, Vi," I whispered back.

I know that this is just the beginning of our life. Soon, we will go to college. And the only constant in this world is change, but I prepared myself. I know I will still stumble and fall, but as long as I have Olivia, my friends, and my family, I know I can get through all of it.

Even if things didn't go well for me at first, I managed to surpass it with the help of the people who believed in me and myself, who continued despite the struggles and circumstances.

Also, they are right when they say that try and try until you succeed. And the proverbs, "While there is life, there is hope."

Let us never give up and continue to dream big!

>>>THE END<<<