Chapter 17

OLIVIA

I WAS EXHAUSTED. I was both physically and mentally exhausted. I'm at home now, lying in my bed. My thoughts had become jumbled due to my encounter with my father at the restaurant. So I was distracting myself by scrolling through and checking my social media accounts.

My head was hurting a lot now because I'd seen the photos and videos I'd taken with Will earlier go viral in our school's social media groups. What is the source of that man's obsession? He irritates me to no end.

I was inundated with messages, and there are numerous comments on the photo saying we look great together and are a perfect couple. Will was also responding to them. He enjoys being in the spotlight. Stella, didn't she take care of that guy for me earlier? However, it appears that she failed in this endeavor.

Anyway, I logged out of my social media accounts. I want to get away from this toxicity. Instead, I put on my AirPods and listened to music on my phone. I sat up straight in bed, staring at the ceiling.

Zoey has yet to return home. Mom said she'd be home late. When I asked my mother if Zoey had stated her reason for being home late, she replied that she was with her best friend Nova, assisting her with her studies.

Mom hasn't met any of Zoey's friends yet, which is a good thing because it'll be a big problem if she does.

So, Zoey is with Nova? Not with Camila? Because I swear, I saw Zoey hop in her car. Is this me? Eff. It had to be Camila's car. Argh.

Zoey is deceiving us. She's telling the truth. I know she is. Why? Maybe I'll have to ask Camila. But what is my reason if she asks why I care? Because... She's her tormentor! And... And they shouldn't be friends. How? When? Where?

I really need Zoey right now. I'm so depressed. I need to talk to her about my pain right now. But why does Zoey seem to be avoiding me these days? Is it my imagination? Is there something I did wrong? I know I'm not always nice to her, but she understands why I'm doing it at school, right? She understands why I ignore her and let my friends bully her, right?

Zoey? You already know the real reason. Zoey, where are you? I am in desperate need of your assistance.

I'm curious what you think of Zoey's reaction to my biological father showing up and bothering to meet me when he's going to die anyway. I've finally met my biological father, but I'm not pleased. I'm not happy because who would be? First, he abandoned my mother and me for sixteen years. And now he's dying; he wanted to see us make amends? If that isn't selfish, I'm not sure what you call what he's doing now.

My biological father has chronic lymphocytic leukemia. It can no longer be treated. According to what I overheard during their conversation, they tried chemotherapy, but it didn't work. He was diagnosed with CLL a year ago. He's now frail. That's why he was with her other daughter, who accompanied him.

My father was ten years older than my mother, which I discovered. He was her teacher back then, and he was married. He left us because he was married and couldn't bear the thought of being separated from his original family. Her daughter, Khloe, who introduced herself, was five years older. She was the one who mostly spoke on my biological father's behalf because he was becoming increasingly frail.

I felt sorry for him, but I still can't find the forgiveness he seeks in my heart. According to Khloe, Kenneth, my biological father, tried to find us after revealing to his family that he had committed adultery while still teaching and had an illegitimate child. He revealed this information after his wife died three years ago.

Khloe went on to say that his siblings were upset and didn't contact him until he told them he had leukemia. My father's legal family consists of five children. This family has two boys and three girls. The first three siblings have started their own families, while the two younger girls are still unmarried. Khloe was still in college. They had traveled a long distance from their home.