Chapter 12

"WHERE IS AUBREY?" I inquire discreetly. We were in our first-period class of the day, and her seat was still vacant.

"She might be late," she said quietly.

"All right," I replied.

The teacher was calling names, but Aubrey was still not present. She was marked absent because she did not arrive until the end of the first period.

Nova replied, "I'll call her."

I was just staring at her, waiting for Aubrey to pick up the phone. Aubrey isn't a slacker, so we're concerned. She may be a little rambunctious and upbeat, but she has never missed a single class since she transferred. This is the first time she has done anything like this.

Fortunately, our Math teacher is running late, so we still have time to reach Aubrey.

"Where are you?" Nova inquired. Aubrey took the phone call. That's good to know. At least we know she's alive. I was relieved. "Emergency? Are you okay? Hmm... Hmm... We'll visit you after school then. Huh? Why not?" Nova asked, her brow furrowed. I was curious about what Aubrey was answering, so I leaned in close to Nova's phone. Because my classmates were getting loud, I could only hear Aubrey's mumble words.

"No, we'll be there later. Send me your address right away, and don't even think about sending me the wrong one because I can find your place even if you don't give me an address." Nova is frightening. She was, after all, telling the truth. Because of her connections, she can do it at all. Remember that her father is the mayor. I'm glad she still bought my act, and I really hope she doesn't dig deeper into my accurate information this time. "All right, see you later," she said as she hung up the phone.

"What did she say?" I inquired.

"She said she was sick, but doesn't sound sick; sounded like acting," she replied.

Nova's hunch is often correct. She is, as I previously stated, terrifying. I should be more cautious. Olivia will be upset if someone at school finds out we are related.

It's not that I don't trust Nova. I promised Vi not to tell anyone. I'm simply keeping my end of the bargain. Am I now a bad best friend?

Olivia did, in fact, cast a glance our way earlier. It was only for a moment, but I noticed her one eyebrow arched as I leaned in to hear Aubrey's voice. Camila was staring as well. What the hell is her issue again?

Thank goodness Stella was busy flirting with one of my boy classmates, and Naomi entertained our classmates with her fortune-telling. I've heard she's been into that sort of thing lately.

My thoughts were again interrupted when the Math teacher arrived, and as a top one student, I listened to her and tried to learn from her. To be honest, I was ahead of schedule in reading and studying my books. I'm a bit of a nerd slash bookworm. I adore reading. I enjoy learning new things.

The day had ended, and I was packing my belongings when I noticed my seatmate was still motionless.

"Con, prepare your belongings; we're going to Aubrey's house, right?" I asked, tapping her shoulder. In the front of the room, she was staring at nothing in particular.

I went over to see what she was looking at, but there was no one or anything special in there.

"Con?"

"My head is aching. The class was too much. Information overload," she finally said, but she looked tired as soon as she dropped her head. "I think I'll need some pain relievers later; my head is throbbing."

She was clearly exaggerating. I know I said Nova wasn't that bad in school, but she's not great either. Her term for this is that her brain's 500 MB storage space is full.