Chapter 4. Katsuo

Since Katsuo had been brought to republic city by the news of Korra's false arrival, she was there early. She heard that her sister Kiriko was going to be there too, with Kuvira and the earth empire.

Katsuo was told that she could find her sister at the republic city hotel, so she walked into the lobby.

Indeed, Kiriko was there too, wearing an earth empire uniform. She had her long waist length black hair pulled into a topknot with a bright blue ribbon, as always. She was with Kuvira, Baatar Jr, and Bolin. Eska and Desna were there too.

Katsuo walked over to them.

Bolin: Hi, Katsuo! It's great to be back in republic city!

Eska looked over at Kuvira.

Eska: I see you have replaced me with a new girlfriend. Well done. She seems very threatening.

Bolin: Oh, no, no. That's Kuvira. She's kind of my boss.

Eska: Boss. Girlfriend. Same thing.

Kiriko: Katsuo? What are you doing here?

Katsuo: Hi, Kiriko. I was planning to attend the coronation, but I was brought to republic city early by the news that Korra was coming back. Which turned out to be false.

Kiriko: I'm not surprised, honestly.

Varrick strolled across the lobby with Zhu Li. They were both wearing earth empire uniforms as well.

Varrick: Never thought I'd be allowed back in The republic city four elements. Raiko must have turned purple when Kuvira made him pardon me of my alleged crimes.

Zhu Li: You're an upstanding citizen again, sir.

Varrick: Upstanding is right! And don't forget to Fill the extra bag with as many of those little soaps as you can grab. Love the lavender scent.

Mako walked over to Bolin.

Mako: Bolin! Look at you! My little brother got all... Important.

Bolin: I know, right? I see myself in the mirror sometimes, and I think I'm in trouble before I realize, It's only me.

Katsuo: Kiriko, Bolin, what's it like working for Kuvira?

Mako: From what I've heard, she's pretty harsh.

Bolin: No! I mean, she can be tough, sure, but we're turning around the earth kingdom like you wouldn't believe. You remember how bad grandma's neighborhood in ba sing se was? All that's completely changed. I mean, we are really helping people!

Kiriko: Yeah. We've completely rebuilt the earth kingdom into the united earth empire, and we're really making a great change in the world.

Bolin: What about you guys? What have you been up to?

Mako: Well, I've been working for Wu. And, uh... Yeah.

Mako hung his head.

Katsuo: So have you seen korra yet? She was supposed to come in with Tonraq, But he says she left the south pole months ago. No one knows where she is.

Suyin walked over to Baatar Jr.

Kiriko: What are YOU doing here?

Baatar Jr: Mother.

Suyin: Hello, Baatar Jr.

Baatar Jr: It's just Baatar now. So, now that you've seen all the good we've done since we left zaofu, you must be sorry that you didn't come and help us.

Suyin: I don't if I'd call marching all over the earth kingdom, forcing people to bow to Kuvira, "doing good."

Kiriko: We're not forcing anyone to do anything! We've been offering the earth kingdom help and rebuilding it completely! It would have spiraled into chaos long ago if it weren't for us!

Baatar Jr: Exactly. You're going to have to get over your grudge with her. I'm sure you've heard that we're engaged. She's going to be an official member of our family.

Suyin: I'm just glad that she'll be stepping down after tomorrow.

Kiriko: You shouldn't be.

Baatar Jr: You prefer to be ruled by that royal idiot?

Baatar Jr jabbed an angry finger at Wu.

Wu walked over to Kuvira.

Wu: I hope I'm not out of order saying this... but you're pretty easy on the eyes for a military type. I'll put in a good word for you with the hotel staff, maybe get you a little upgrade. I've been living here for years. They love me.

Kuvira: I won't be needing your help. We've reserved the presidential suite.

Wu: Well, I think someone is pulling your chain. See, I'M in the

presidential suite.

Kuvira: Not anymore. I had you moved out.

Wu: Wait, what?

Wu turned to one of his guards.

Wu: Cam, Where's all my stuff?

Cam: We moved you into a very nice junior suite on the seventh floor.

Wu: JUNIOR suite!?

Kuvira: Something you should know about me... I always get what I want.