Chapter 8. Katsuo

When Katsuo was back at her hotel, she got a radio call from Tenzin.

Tenzin: Korra's coming back.

Katsuo: What makes you so sure?

Tenzin: Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo found her. They've brought her back right now.

Katsuo: She's coming back for real this time?

Tenzin: Yes!

Katsuo: I'll be right over.

Katsuo hurried to air temple island to find Korra, Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo had arrived atop Pepper.

Korra: Katsuo! You're here!

Korra ran up to Katsuo and hugged her.

Katsuo: Why've you been hidden for so long? Your dad thought you were in republic city and we thought you were at the south pole when you were at neither for six whole months! Where did you go, and why did you lie to everyone?

Korra: I'll explain at some point, but I'm in a hurry right now. I have to go to zaofu. Unless... do you want to come along? Then I can tell you on the way!

Katsuo: Yeah, I'll hitch a ride.

They boarded Pepper and took off toward zaofu and Korra explained everything.

Korra: What about you? What have you been up to?

Katsuo: I came to republic city when I heard you were coming. Which turned out to be false. Thanks for that.

Korra could hear the clear sarcasm in Katsuo's voice.

Korra: Yeah, sorry about that.

Ikki: Katsuo, what's that thing in your hair? It looks pretty!

Ikki pointed at the topknot hairpin Katsuo had bought from the stand some of Kuvira's supporters had been running. Korra looked over at it as well.

Korra: Oh yeah, I always thought it was your sister who wore topknots, not you.

Katsuo: Like you're one to talk about hair!

Katsuo pointed at Korra's hair, which she had cut so short it only reached her chin. Korra laughed.

Korra: I guess you have a point there.

Ikki: So, what is it?

Katsuo: It's a topknot hairpin, of course. I bought it at the mini ba sing se fashion mall back in republic city. Anyway, why are we going to zaofu again?

Korra: Suyin called us in.

Katsuo recoiled.

Katsuo: WHAT!? What could she possibly be asking of us!?

Meelo: I see it! Zaofu!

Meelo lowered his spyglass as they neared zaofu.

Meelo: We made it! And a bunch of other people are here too!

Kuvira's army came into sight.

Korra: I hope we're not too late.

Katsuo: Too late? Too late for what?

They arrived at Suyin's home in zaofu and entered.

Suyin: Korra? I can't believe it. Where have you been? You disappeared. Everyone was so worried.

Korra: I'll tell you the whole story later. Right now, I want to help you stop Kuvira. What can I do?

Katsuo: Stop Kuvira? That's what we came here to do?

Katsuo couldn't believe it.

Korra: How did things get so bad between you and Kuvira? I thought she was your protege?

Suyin: She was more than that. She was like a daughter to me. I took her in when she was eight years old and nourished her talents. Kuvira was intelligent, disciplined, skilled, and charming. Knew how to address a crowd. She was a natural leader and quickly rose through the ranks.

Korra: What happened?

Zuyin: Three years ago, after the fall of the earth queen, Raiko and Tenzin came to see me. They told me the earth kingdom was in chaos, and there was a vacuum of power. They were concerned about what would happen if someone didn't take control of the situation. They thought I should be the one. I said I wasn't interested in leading an entire nation, and that I couldn't help them. Kuvira told me that she thought I should do it. I said we'd be seen as conquerors and greeted with nothing but war. Kuvira insisted there were already wars and the earth queen nearly destroyed our nation. That it was our opportunity to change things for the better. I said it wasn't going to happen. And I didn't realize at the time, but that moment created a rift between us. Kuvira turned my own son against me. And together they plotted behind my back. They said they were doing what I didn't have the guts to do. To go back to ba sing se to help bring order back to the earth kingdom. I ordered her to stay here. She said that no one was going to stop her, and my security force was more than happy to join her cause. That they're some of the best fighters in the world, and they were tired of being treated like exotic birds in my cage. I told her that if she left, she would never be welcomed back. She said that when she chose to return, it would be on her own terms. Kuvira and Baatar Jr left that day with Varrick, my security force, and a few of zaofu's wealthiest citizens. After Kuvira proved herself by stabilizing ba sing se, Raiko and the other world leaders made her the head of the earth kingdom. I knew it was only a matter of time until she made her way back here.

Korra: I want to fix this.

Suyin: You can. Go into the avatar state and demolish her army.

Katsuo: WHAT!?

Suyin: Remove Kuvira from power once and for all.

Katsuo: No! Korra, you can't trust Su! If anyone deserves to lead this nation, it's Kuvira! Just look at everything she's done!

Suyin turned to Katsuo.

Suyin: I wondered why you were wearing topknot with an earth empire hairpin. It makes sense now. You support her, don't you?

Suyin turned back to Korra.

Suyin: Korra, you must do this.

Korra: Fighting is something the old me would do, but that always made things worse. Let me talk with Kuvira. Maybe I can reason with her.

Korra headed for Kuvira's encampment.

Katsuo (thinking): This I've got to see.